SLAMming question

I started to see algea and initiated the SLAM earlier this morning. I know why I got this little bloom, it was my fault. I've been working on lowering CYA and with the drain, refill and high CYA I haven't maintained a high enough FC level. I did get my CYA down near 50 today, :party: woohoo!! (down from about 250!)

Here is my question:
I started to SLAM with my pH at close to 8.0. Since the pH test is unreliable while slamming, should I put some acid in anyway to lower the pH during the SLAM?

Currently:
FC = 21
CC = 0
pH = no point in measuring (yesterday it was 7.8 and this morning it was 8.0)
TA = 110
CH = 120
CYA = 50

If you took the pH reading while the FC was below 10 then adjust it based on the last good reading. If the readings were taken when the FC was above 10 then just let it go until you are done with the SLAM.

Donldson said:
If you took the pH reading while the FC was below 10 then adjust it based on the last good reading. If the readings were taken when the FC was above 10 then just let it go until you are done with the SLAM.

Agreed. :goodjob:

Ugh!!!

Went to test this morning and as I am counting 35, 36 pfffftt - out of R-0871. Wasn't able to complete the first OCLT of my SLAM. Well I did test 7 times yesterday alone and it was 40 plus drops each time which is why I ordered supplies from TFTestkits yesterday.

Now I am going to have to maintain my FC shock level (20 in my case) without exact measurement.

The water is extremely clear this morning already. Yesterday I put about 3.5 gallons of liquid chlorine, but that was to establish and maintain the Shock Level. 2.5 gallons through out the day ought to maintain it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GuinnessPhish said:
Are you using a 5ml sample instead of 10ml so that you can save on R0871?

Using 5ml instead of 10, each drop of RO871 counts for 1FC instead of .5.
I planned to do this, but I was so excited to do my test after not testing for nearly 2 days that I forgot. The test came out perfect though, 40 drops which is exactly the 20ppm I am targeting for the slam. The next one I will do with a 5ml, I found a little medicine cup that has a 5ml line indicated - perfect.

Measured at 5:40 this morning and my FC dropped only 1ppm! :lovetfp:

So I SLAMmed for only 3 days. Can 3 days be sufficient (water is clear, CC = 0) or should I keep going just to make sure everything has been killed?

I do think I caught the bloom at a very early stage, just noticed the water wasn't quite as clear and had an ever so slight greenish hue to it.

Final question: As a number of posters suggested, I cut my FAS-DPD sample to 5ml. Do you still add 5 drops of R-0003 for the CC test?

You add 5 drops of R-0003 for any size test. For the OCLT you need to use the 10 ml test however. The 5 ml test is good for testing during the SLAM, but the OCLT you need the 0.5 ppm precision of the 10 ml test.

Donldson said:
You add 5 drops of R-0003 for any size test. For the OCLT you need to use the 10 ml test however. The 5 ml test is good for testing during the SLAM, but the OCLT you need the 0.5 ppm precision of the 10 ml test.
Followed this recommendation and maintained my SLAM, not quite at the 20ppm level - I started to let it drop, because I also discovered my CYA was not 50, but a nearly perfect 38! This because I had been performing the test indoors - yeah, I really need to learn to follow directions to the letter. The level was 15.5 when I got home at 9:44 last night. Since it was so close to 16 as the chart prescribes at CYA=40, I didn't try to adjust it up.

The result of the OCLT by the way was 0-0.5 loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.