Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool full, no sand for filter, start with pump only?

1. Back To Top    #1

pool full, no sand for filter, start with pump only?

This is probably a simple question but I am still learning... I thought it was going to be easy getting sand for our filter but none nearby so I need to wait. Unfortunately I have the pool filled below the skimmer and would like to start circulating and adding chlorine. Can I just hook up the pump and then add the filter after I get the sand? If so, do I need to take water out of pool to below skimmer/return or can I temporarily 'plug' those points to plumb in the filter? Putting something in the bottom of the skimmer seems like it would work but how to plug the return?
    18*34 above ground doughboy
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool full, no sand for filter, start with pump only?

What kind of filter valve to you have? If you run it on recirculate, it will skip the filter as well.

Anyway, no problem running just the pump for circulation. You may want to consider adding a valve on the skimmer and return lines so that you can easily isolate the equipment in the future so the pool will not drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,
    I had started an earlier topic about my equipment in general and I am still trying to figure what the different filter multiport valves are for. The only valve setting that seems straightforward is the 'filter' valve, which must direct the water through the actual sand filter. So recirculate must bypass the filter?? what would be the typical purpose of that? Does anyone know what the other valve ports are for? For example what is the 'close' position for? What is 'backwash' for? What is winter flush for?
    On a side note, I did locate some sand nearby so I will put it in and start the pump. Hopefully all goes well!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18*34 above ground doughboy
    Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

Here the guide to that valve

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Sta-Rit ... alveOM.pdf

32155-4133 is the part number for the 1.5 inch valve's decal but the one place that had a price wanted $13 for the 2 inch valve's sticker. I would be making dymo labels for $13.00
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100