New Pool/Old Water - Algae issues

Aug 19, 2013
We recently moved into a house that has a pool and according to the previous owner, was never drained since he moved in - they moved into the house in 2004. His weekly maintenance did not include testing, rather he added 3 trichlor pucks, 2 cups of muriatic acid, 1 pound of powder trichlor shock, and 1 cup of phosfree. :hammer: As you can imagine, the CYA levels are off the charts. I spoke to my friend who works for a pool company who said that it is too hot to drain the pool and we should wait until it doesn't go above 85 degrees. I initially took it to Leslies to test when I first moved in and there was no chlorine. I didn't know much about pools at the time, but was confused because I shocked it the night before. After doing research, I realized that this is due to the CYA levels. I bought a taylor test kit (non FAS-DPD k-2005). I tested the levels and CYA was well over 100. PH was almost 10. I went on the pool calculator and with my levels it told me I needed to drain 85% of the pool. It also told me how much acid and bleach to add. I know there is not much that can be done for a pool with such a high level of CYA, but now I am getting algae. As soon as it appears I brush the pool and add bleach.

My question is...can I do anything in the interim to get enough chlorine in my pool to kill the algae without adding too much that will damage anything.

Second, is it possible to purchase the FAS-DPD test alone as I already have all other necessary tests?

Third, I cannot get the PH down. I have added half a gallon of acid at one time and it hardly puts a dent on the PH levels.

The pool is approximately 16,000 - 18,000 gallons and pebble tech.

Since you have the K2005, this will bring it up the equivalent of the K2006. The TF-100 is a custom kit with just the right chems, and typically more chemicals than the K2006. I made the same mistake in the beginning, and this is just what I did. It will give you all you need! :)

Am I guessing correctly that you are in Arizona? If so, you may find RO (reverse osmosis) to be an economical option in your area and less expensive than new water or the chemicals required to balance the pool. RO removes essentially everything in the water and you start over.

Do you have full results from the LPS?

Liquid Chlorine (bleach) is the best source of chlorine and it is ph neutral in most cases. It will require getting your PH down to the correct range. The issue is, how much chlorine you need is not known until you know your CYA and that the results are accurate. We don't trust LPS very much to do the tests correctly.

Leslie's had it over 100. My k-2005 kit had it around 170 for the CYA. I am in Arizona. What is the install like on an RO, and where would be a good place to purchase? How long would it take to filter a pool this big?

Or Arizona Pima Chemical if you are in Tucson.

It is not equipment you buy. They are companies that bring out equipment and you pay for the service (around $400) and you will still lose ~20% of the water that is processed.

I am not convinced it is a "cheaper" solution. But is an alternative if you do not have a good water supply.

We are in Gilbert, AZ. Thank you. I looked into it last night. It may be an option since it won't get below 85 until end of October. I added another half gallon of acid last night because my k-2005 was still showing over 8 (highest reading it shows is 8). I have another question re: algae. What is the best way to scrub it off the hayward hose? Should I pull the hose out of the water and scrub it, or keep it in the water and go in the pool to scrub it? I brushed the pool, but I can't get the hose without pulling it our or going in.

THanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.