Chemical to lower phosphates??

Mar 18, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have many trees around my pool and any time the wind kicks up the leaves get tossed into my pool at a very fast rate. I have had my water tested and know that I battle very high phosphate levels. The local pool supply store has tried selling me "PhosFree" to lower the phosphates which would theoretically help reduce the alge growth.

Is there any other alternative to lower phosphates and help control alge growth in a pool that has lots of leaves constantly?

Thanks!

There is no need to lower phosphate levels in a properly managed pool. That's why we generally ignore phosphates. The pool store will tell you it is algae food. It doesn't matter how much food there is in the pool, if all the algae is dead and it can't live in the pool do to proper chlorine level.

Free Chlorine kills algae. Phosphate removers are a good profit generator for pool stores. There are cheaper and better ways to maintain your pool. If you haven't yet, spend some time studying Pool School. It's the button on the upper right of this page.

As chief said, the best alternative to expensive phosphate removers is proper testing and maintaining a proper FC to CYA ratio. This not only protects from algae far better than Phosfree but also kills other nasty stuff that likes to live in water.

I have a link in my signature to Test Kits, a TF-100 or K-2006 is a big step to understanding your pool and knowing what your levels are. The pool school can help you start to understand the pool chemistry and why we tend to ignore phosphate levels (I couldn't tell you what mine are, but my pool is clear and balanced).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.