Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical to lower phosphates??

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Chemical to lower phosphates??

I have many trees around my pool and any time the wind kicks up the leaves get tossed into my pool at a very fast rate. I have had my water tested and know that I battle very high phosphate levels. The local pool supply store has tried selling me "PhosFree" to lower the phosphates which would theoretically help reduce the alge growth.

Is there any other alternative to lower phosphates and help control alge growth in a pool that has lots of leaves constantly?

~20k Gal, Hayward Sand Filter (Model: S244SV), IG, Fiberglass, MagneTek Pump (1HP, Part# 7-177450-03)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical to lower phosphates??

There is no need to lower phosphate levels in a properly managed pool. That's why we generally ignore phosphates. The pool store will tell you it is algae food. It doesn't matter how much food there is in the pool, if all the algae is dead and it can't live in the pool do to proper chlorine level.

Free Chlorine kills algae. Phosphate removers are a good profit generator for pool stores. There are cheaper and better ways to maintain your pool. If you haven't yet, spend some time studying Pool School. It's the button on the upper right of this page.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

As chief said, the best alternative to expensive phosphate removers is proper testing and maintaining a proper FC to CYA ratio. This not only protects from algae far better than Phosfree but also kills other nasty stuff that likes to live in water.

I have a link in my signature to Test Kits, a TF-100 or K-2006 is a big step to understanding your pool and knowing what your levels are. The pool school can help you start to understand the pool chemistry and why we tend to ignore phosphate levels (I couldn't tell you what mine are, but my pool is clear and balanced).
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP Cbed! Hope you check us out and learn what we do here. +1 to the guys above on Phosphates.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr