Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward super pump wiring help

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward super pump wiring help

I just opened up the box to my Hayward super pump (sp2607x10) and noticed there was no cord. I've got the pool guy coming Thursday to install the pool. I need to make sure I have power so he can connect the pump. Can I add a cord to the pump or do I need to hardwire it to the breaker?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hayward super pump wiring help

Do you not run the pump with a timer? You should hard wire it to the timer ... or I guess a breaker if you do not use a timer (which you should )

The wiring diagram is on the the placard on the motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do either. I would check code in your area but you can use either either a "whip" or hard wire it. Code requires a twist lock cord if you are using an outlet, IIRC
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

How do I connect the cord to the pump?
    I thought i could plug the pump into a timer i use for the holiday lights. The timer would then plug into the outlet that connects to the new 15 amp circuit breaker. Will that work?

5. Back To Top    #5

That is highly likely not to meet code. You need to check what is required by your local ordinances.

You would connect the cord to the pump the same way you would hook any hard wiring to the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Also note most Super Pump models can be wired either 120V or 240V, this may mean wiring to a different screw terminal, or moving a jumper on the motor, or both. You will not find detailed instructions in the manual only a diagram on the motor, this is because the motor manufacturer tends to change the wiring connections with different updates to the motor design. I have owned a few Super Pumps over the years, and I don't think any two had the exact same connection on the motor. There are many youtube videos that show hot to wire pool pumps, perhaps one of those would be helpful for you.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I am having my pool installed this week. I am by no means an electrician, neither am I offering advice. I am simply telling you what I did. My PB told me I need a 220 line run to the location of the equipment. I ran 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker from my box to the equipment location. If I had to do it all again, I would use a regular 2 pole 30 amp breaker in my main box and then run that to a sub box that would contain the 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker. That would give me more flexibility at the equipment pad.
    21K gallon 18'6" x 36' 6" Grecian IG Pool. Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter and 1HP Hayward pump
    Will be installed at the end of July!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

If you ran a couple extra wires to the pad you could have both 220 and 110 at the pad so you could add a 220 timer to run the pump and have the code required 110 convenience outlet. OR, you can run 220 a subpanel near the pool and break it out in that panel. But IIRC you would need to have a separate grounding loop there. 110 and 220 use the same number of conductors, its all in how they are connected.

I am not an electrician.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100