Inground Pool Slide

Apr 27, 2013
Greetings all,

I am having an in ground 16x32 rectangle vinyl liner pool installed. Currently the liner is in and it is filling up with water. Concrete decking will be along in the coming weeks.

I talked with my pool builder about installing a slide. The PB told me that it would be best if I installed the slide during pool construction. However, he only offers the older types of slides. I asked him if I could order the slide I want and have him install it and he declined. The slides he offers look very dated.

It's a bit frustrating that I can't get what I'm willing to pay for.

Is the slide really much stronger being installed during construction? Or will I have the same strength and durability if I get one next year after the concrete decking is installed?

Charlie

I'm no expert on this but there are two areas it would be worth dealing with now if you want to put a slide in.

The first is a secure footing for the slide to be attached to.

The second is a water source to supply water to run down the slide.

If they aren't done now, you will inevitably end up having to damage some of the concrete decking in order to retrofit it, though I'm sure it could be done.

Hopefully a few others that have done this will chime in with their experiences.

Choose the slide you want. Read the manufacturers installation instructions. You need to be concerned with the required run out in your pool, the footings and the water supply. Make sure your pool has a location with the required run out specified by the manufacturer.

What kind of slide do you want that your pool builder does not like? What is his objection? Most manufactures sell both older fiberglass slides and newer plastic slides.

gwegan said:
Choose the slide you want. Read the manufacturers installation instructions. You need to be concerned with the required run out in your pool, the footings and the water supply. Make sure your pool has a location with the required run out specified by the manufacturer.

What kind of slide do you want that your pool builder does not like? What is his objection? Most manufactures sell both older fiberglass slides and newer plastic slides.

To make a long story short my PB didn't even entertain the idea of any slide except the SR Smith Grand Rapids. That's the only brochure he had and he said that was the only choice. It has a ladder and looks kind of like it's straight out of the 1970's. Based off the internet prices I have seen for this slide -- he's charging double the retail (which includes install.)

I think the Interfab "Wild Ride" is more attractive for my pool area.

As I stated my concern is whether the slide is much more durable if installed during construction vs. being installed after the concrete has cured.

-CB

If you plan ahead ... like have the footings in place and room to tie into the plumbing for a water source, I would thing the durability would be the same.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the requirement to have any metal on the slide connected to the bonding grid.

Thank you all for your replies. I am new to this, so please forgive my misunderstanding.

The PB did the rough in for the plumbing.

What more do I need to ask him to do if I want to wait until next season to install the slide that I want? I don't understand the footer and bonding. Is there something specific to the exact model of slide, or is this just a general procedure done to the approximate area I want to install the slide.

Thanks
CB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.