Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inground Pool Slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Pool Slide

Greetings all,

I am having an in ground 16x32 rectangle vinyl liner pool installed. Currently the liner is in and it is filling up with water. Concrete decking will be along in the coming weeks.

I talked with my pool builder about installing a slide. The PB told me that it would be best if I installed the slide during pool construction. However, he only offers the older types of slides. I asked him if I could order the slide I want and have him install it and he declined. The slides he offers look very dated.

It's a bit frustrating that I can't get what I'm willing to pay for.

Is the slide really much stronger being installed during construction? Or will I have the same strength and durability if I get one next year after the concrete decking is installed?

Charlie
    16x32 IG vinyl liner, Hayward Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inground Pool Slide

I'm no expert on this but there are two areas it would be worth dealing with now if you want to put a slide in.

The first is a secure footing for the slide to be attached to.

The second is a water source to supply water to run down the slide.

If they aren't done now, you will inevitably end up having to damage some of the concrete decking in order to retrofit it, though I'm sure it could be done.

Hopefully a few others that have done this will chime in with their experiences.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

3. Back To Top    #3

Choose the slide you want. Read the manufacturers installation instructions. You need to be concerned with the required run out in your pool, the footings and the water supply. Make sure your pool has a location with the required run out specified by the manufacturer.

What kind of slide do you want that your pool builder does not like? What is his objection? Most manufactures sell both older fiberglass slides and newer plastic slides.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

SR Smith sells the Turbo Twister and the Helix as an example and both of those slides are redhead anchored into the deck. You just need a large supply line from the pool pump to wet the slide when in use.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan
    Choose the slide you want. Read the manufacturers installation instructions. You need to be concerned with the required run out in your pool, the footings and the water supply. Make sure your pool has a location with the required run out specified by the manufacturer.

What kind of slide do you want that your pool builder does not like? What is his objection? Most manufactures sell both older fiberglass slides and newer plastic slides.

To make a long story short my PB didn't even entertain the idea of any slide except the SR Smith Grand Rapids. That's the only brochure he had and he said that was the only choice. It has a ladder and looks kind of like it's straight out of the 1970's. Based off the internet prices I have seen for this slide -- he's charging double the retail (which includes install.)

I think the Interfab "Wild Ride" is more attractive for my pool area.

As I stated my concern is whether the slide is much more durable if installed during construction vs. being installed after the concrete has cured.

-CB

6. Back To Top    #6

If you plan ahead ... like have the footings in place and room to tie into the plumbing for a water source, I would thing the durability would be the same.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the requirement to have any metal on the slide connected to the bonding grid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

As has been said, if you have footings in place and a water supply there should not be a durability problem. You do need to bond it -- that is a good point.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Actually bonding depends on the slide. If there are no metal parts there is nothing to bond. The SR Smith Turbo and Helix slides are roto molded plastic with no metal to bond.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

I am installing a Interfab slide and it will go in next year...

I have built the deck and the supply line to accommodate...NO DIFFERENCE in durability, etc. if done now or later.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for your replies. I am new to this, so please forgive my misunderstanding.

The PB did the rough in for the plumbing.

What more do I need to ask him to do if I want to wait until next season to install the slide that I want? I don't understand the footer and bonding. Is there something specific to the exact model of slide, or is this just a general procedure done to the approximate area I want to install the slide.

Thanks
    CB

11. Back To Top    #11

Well specific to the slide...see attached for the interfab wild you mentioned.

See page 4-5 specifically on the placement.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover