Low Pressure?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

My sand filter has been consistently at 12 psi all season. All of the sudden last week it dropped to 8 psi. I cleaned out the skimmer basket and pump basket and sprayed them with a hose. They're 100% clean, but it's still at 8 psi. I don't think anything could be lodged in the pipes because the baskets were in there the whole time and would have caught anything. There is no bubble in the pump basket, and the water pressure coming out of the returns seems good.

Those are all the things I know to test for. Any ideas what could be causing it or how to fix it? Could a backwash and rinse possibly solve a low pressure issue?

Thanks

Assuming the gauge checks out OK, sudden low pressure indicates some type of restriction on the suction side.

If you are sure the pipes and skimmers are clear, then turn off the pump, remove the pump strainer basket and see if you can feel anything wrapped around the impeller.....that's a common issue.

Will check on the gauge and the impeller.

Regarding "If you are sure the pipes and skimmers are clear"...what's the best way to tell (or not best, but most practical)? I'm just assuming I don't have an obstruction because the skimmer basket and pump basket are always in, and they don't float up when the pump turns off. Is that a safe assumption for me to make?

Thanks!

Yeah, no bubbles in the pump strainer basket. A snake is a good idea. Suppose I could try a garden hose too. It's PVC, so I've got some 90 degree elbows to contend with but shouldn't be too bad.

I tried sticking my hands near the impeller yesterday but couldn't quite reach. Although, it was a half-hearted attempt since my brain was throwing off false warning signals that despite the power being cut, this thing is ready to turn on in a moment's notice ;)

Thanks for the help. Will check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.