Anyone Tried Sonos' Wireless Speaker System?

Jul 12, 2013
I am looking for an outside wireless speaker system. Has anyone tried the sonos' system? You hook up one unit or a bridge into your hub and then the system sets up its own wireless "mesh" network (probably to prevent interference from other things on the network). The reviews on Amazon sound really good. I ordered a wireless bridge and the 5 speaker unit to give it a try. You can see the system at: http://sonos.com

I've got the play 3 speaker and the bridge. System works flawlessly. Best part is the easy ability to move the speaker room to room or outside and it quickly hooks back up to network. Love the ability to stream pandora, Sirius, I heart radio or my iTunes library

Only downside I have found is the cost of the components. Great texhnology, great sound but pricey to get an entire setup

KenGood said:
I am looking for an outside wireless speaker system. Has anyone tried the sonos' system? You hook up one unit or a bridge into your hub and then the system sets up its own wireless "mesh" network (probably to prevent interference from other things on the network). The reviews on Amazon sound really good. I ordered a wireless bridge and the 5 speaker unit to give it a try. You can see the system at: http://sonos.com

Just remember the play 3 and play are not weather proof speakers. The Sonos experience is bar none, the best. You'll love it.

I would run some direct burial speaker wire (or 12gauge landscape lighting cable work well for speakers) while the ground is open. Locate the spots where you want speakers and make sure you have a home run to that area. More speakers are better then few as you can get better coverage without cranking the volume. Also, point your speakers back at the house. If the outdoor area is large look 70V speakers and Amp's as the technical complexities are minimized. You may also want to consider several zones: pool, yard, and patio for instance. You can use a Sonos Connect as an input to the 70v amp.

I've had the system for about 2 years and have no regrets. It certainly is not cheap though! Have 3 Play 5's, 1 bridge and the Connect (ZP90). I also have an Outcast Jr for outside that streams through a transmitter (inside) that is connected to the Connect (ZP90). I've had no problems with the Outcast Jr, great battery life and surprisingly good sound. I typically bring it inside when not in use (water resistant, but not waterproof). Although, there are many! radio stations available through the system, I typically listen to Sirius/XM.

The Play 5 unit and bridge were delivered. It was very easy to set up. We all got the app for our iPhones. My wife and oldest daughter kept changing the song after I started one. Oh what games we play! Very pleased with unit. Will order more.

I know what you mean. I think that we will end up buying 2-3 more of these. I would like to have another one for outside and at least one more for the inside of the house. We have played with this some and I really like it. We have not had any problems with it. Strongly recommend.

I love the system and view it as a perfect compliment to my pool. I have 4 zones at the moment that cover most of the house (except bedrooms) and the patio and pool area. To do the latter right, I had to get a wireless extender that gave good wireless coverage to the pool area. This allows controlling everything from the iphone app (but risks the iphone at the bottom of the spa). The group feature is great, and fills the entire house and outside with music. All my music listening at home is through Sonos now. As well as pandora, slacker, etc., I use it for my entire music library which is stored in a big itunes library on a network drive. Sonos picks it up and plays it almost as easily as itunes does. Very nice system, and a great way to access a digitized music collection. Only downside as mentioned is the price of components. However, if you price against other multi-room systems that usually require tearing up walls and running cable, I decided it was a pretty good deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I have considered just buying a new receiver that has speaker inputs and a built in wifi for pandora etc. Then, hook up our airport express to stream our itunes library. The receiver that I am looking at is the same price anyway - Then, a speaker selector so I can shut off the ones under cover and switch them to another channel for our TV..

vanibrown said:
So, I have considered just buying a new receiver that has speaker inputs and a built in wifi for pandora etc. Then, hook up our airport express to stream our itunes library. The receiver that I am looking at is the same price anyway - Then, a speaker selector so I can shut off the ones under cover and switch them to another channel for our TV..

I was looking at just using an old stereo system in the pool house and adding the Sonos unit that would incorporate it with the rest of the system and the wife did not like that idea. She thought it would get to much moisture (I wonder what she is going to happen to the TV that will be there all the time). Oh well.

using two connect amps each with definitive AW 6500 pairs running on either end of the patio trellis (about 60 feet across. These are very weather resistant with good sound. Although a little weak on the low end.
I do not like the sound of the wireless subwoofer and am looking for a bass solution. Suggestions?
jhv

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.