Pumping to solar panels

Mar 7, 2012
Mountain Brook, AL
My Hayward RS1000 1.5HP pump started leaking from the seal and then the noise grew to a constant high pitch. I pulled the motor with the plan to replace the bearings and seals and couldn't get it totally apart. One small screw that holds the plate covering the front bearing is rusted and would need to be sheared off and re-tapped. Not what I want to do. I really never liked the pump so I'm glad to see it go. I put it back together and will reinstall it to buy some time.

My frustration with the pump was when I used my four 4x20 Fafco Solar Bear panels. They only seem to work with all water diverted to solar, and so the flow in the rest of the pool was too slow to send debris to the skimmer. We have tons of trees, leaves, etc. I guess the issue is not enough head pressure, maybe not enough HP. We have no other water features. 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. I use a robot cleaner. I run the pump 10 hours a day year round. I could do it for less time but it helps keep debris from settling to bottom.

I like the idea of a 2 speed motor. I don't mind if it has a manual switch as I manually switch to solar. I don't know if I should just replace the motor. The rest of the housing is in good shape. Current wiring is for 230 volts.

If replacing the motor - what would you suggest?
If replacing the whole thing - what Pentair would you suggest? Or another make?

Thanks for any help!

(Also, the original pump says 1HP on the main plaque, but another little sticker says 1.5 total).

The Hayward RS is a fairly high head pump, this makes me suspect your problem is in the plumbing, perhaps the way you have your panels connected, do you have them all flowing in series or do you have the plumbed in parallel. If in series I suspect that is generating way too much back pressure on your pump, and you may want to replumb them to work in parallel, it will also likely improve total heat transfer.

Ike

This is strange, and you may need more diagnostic information to locate the source of your problems. Did you install drain valves on the pipes going up to the roof to allow you to fully drain them in the winter? If so you might want to rig a pressure valve you can attach at these points to measure how much pressure you are loosing from the supply to the return from the solar panels.

Ike

Thanks for checking back. No, I didn't install drain valves. We don't get too many freezing temp days and when we do I run the pump and solar to keep things moving.

With solar on, the flow in the pool is ok, just not great. Since I'm replacing, then I'd like for both to be great. It's an old pool and the pipes are 1.5". That may be part of the problem.

I just put the old pump back on and it is screaming away. I need to try to order something today or tomorrow. Since the pool remodel I've not had algae and hate to be black hawk down for too long when this thing dies. I know it may continue for a bit but I'd feel better replacing it.

I tend to agree with everyone else here. You are already running a pretty hefty pump for your application so your problem may be elsewhere. I have a Hayward Super Pump II - 1 hp with a 20K pool, 6- 4x10 panels. The panels are about 20' from the pump then up about 15' to the roof. Then they go up a slanted roof about another 4' vertical to the peak. All plumbing is 1.5". I usually set my valve at 90% to panels/10% bypass panels for optimal performance. Most of my use is through the panels so a 2 speed pump would be of little value to me.

I have a smaller 1 hp Superflo and run 10 solar panels that are a 75 foot run through 1.5" pipe before going up to the roof. I divert everything through the panels and have plenty of flow. In the middle of summer and in the winter I do nut run the solar, so save money running on low speed.
I don't think your pump size is your problem either.

I would probably do as jblizzle - use the lower speed when not running solar.

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the lower pressure of the return water after it has gone through the panels. It is less than when it doesn't go through the panels, but that seems understandable. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one diverting all to solar.

Is a replacement motor the way to go? I see AO Smith for around $300. O

r am I better off spending another $100 or $200 for a Pentair? The motor I'm replacing has only been used for 3 years. Granted, I should have addressed the leaking seals, but that's not something I want to do every 3 years.

I spent some time researching my options online and by phone. The RS 1000 is basically the Hayward Super II, named RS1000 by Leslie's, where I bought it. Calling around to find a replacement motor from online sellers and saying I have an RS1000 was sort of a pain. The next call I just said I have a Super II. Reminds me of when I used to live in Mexico and no one could pronounce my name. It made me crazy enough and I decided to use the name Carlos, especially with strangers I knew I'd never see again. Who can't pronounce Carlos? It's much easier to say than Sean. I meet gringos even now that can't pronounce Sean. I digress.

I looked at 1HP and 1.5HP replacements. Most are made by AO Smith. With the 1.5HP I would also need a new impeller, and new seals no matter the choice. I also looked at the AO Smith 1.5HP 2 speed for about $319. Since I'm not a big fan of Mr. smith right now I think I've decided to ditch the whole motor quest and go with a Pentair. I see a 1.5HP 2 speed Superflo for $442 including shipping. I may find it cheaper. It has a manual switch, is 230 volts, and seems to be well liked. I searched here and read every post on the first page of 18 pages. That took awhile but I learned a bunch.

So, now I'm asking why I shouldn't go this route. The next option might be the 1HP 2 speed Superflo but that may leave me disliking it as I did the RS.

Thanks for the insight so far.

I hope you are not doing this to save on your electric bill. Previous posts claimed you needed to be above .20 per KW for this to be feasible. I always thought Alabama had cheap electric (less than half). I know back when I did the math for NJ at .16 per KW the 2 speed pump didn't work out for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2-speeds are almost always a good investment no matter what your electric rate is. Variable speeds are usually not a good investment below about 20¢ per kwh.

A 1 hp pump should be plenty big for your pool even with the solar.

I like the idea of 2 speed. In the winter, with less debris and no solar, I can see myself using it a lot.

Our rates are pretty reasonable here. I have seen many question the economy of variable speed pumps as they are pretty expensive. The one I'm looking at isn't too much more than what it would have been to replace the motor. My old pump is a 1hp and not sufficient for the task, even as.1.5 total HP.

I went ahead and purchased the Pentair Superflo 1.5hp 2 speed. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today.

Seemed easy enough but for some reason the switch for changing the speed does not change the speed. I read through some other articles and found this prior post which looked very similar to my issue.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post534105.html?hilit=Wiring 2 speed with switch#p534105

Here are pictures of my actual connections and the motor wiring diagram. I have red, black, and green going to the motor. The yellow and white are going to the switch which came on the housing.

What do I need to do to make the switch work as it should? Is my black wire supposed to go down to the next terminal? I'm not too sporty with electrical work so if someone could explain it simply then that would be awesome.

Thanks

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Actual.jpg
    Actual.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 120
Awesome. Actually just went out and opened it up and pulled on the black wire. It was tucked into the housing but it came right out and has a cap on it. I'll join the two together.

I ran it a little bit earlier and it seemed to send out quite a significant amount of air bubbles through the return. I opened up the valve on the sand filter for several minutes but it didn't stop. All of the new connections for PVC look fine. Maybe it just needs to bleed out longer.

Glad to have the wiring right. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.