Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: variable speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

variable speed pump

I am about to switch to a variable speed pump to replace the single speed I have now,just looking for some opinions on which brand folks have had the best endurance and performance with.Also maybe if someone could briefly explain the relationship between pump rpm and feet of head on the pump,Ive been trying to figure how to calculate how one affects the other,but no luck yet.
    16500 gallon plaster, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: variable speed ump

Take a look at the Affinity Laws on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_laws. Basically if you double the pump RPM, the head will go up by a factor of 4. Hope this helps.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: variable speed ump

Both Pentair IntelliFlo and Hayward EcoStar have been around a while and gotten fairly good (though not perfect) reports.

What is it that you are actually trying to figure out? Figuring out feet of dynamic head is almost always the most difficult route for getting anywhere,
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: variable speed pump

I was just trying to figure out how many gpm I would be able to get at the lower speeds.I took a vacuum reading from the suction side and used that and the pressure reading to come up with 40 feet of head right now.

5. Back To Top    #5

To back up a little, why do you feel the need for a VS pump? Do you have high electrical costs? Do you have a lot of different flow rate requirements? Do you get rebates on the VS pump?

If the answer to these is NO, then you could likely same money upfront by just getting a 2-speed motor or pump and it will get you most of the electrical savings that the VS offers.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just trying to lower my power bill,I will look at some of the two speeds as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

BTW, calculating the head loss and the flow rate is generally not needed for anything (and not very easy to do anyway). There is no real turn over requirement if that is what you are concerned about. Maybe this will answer some questions: pool-school/pump_run_time

If the flow with your existing pump was good, then look at a similar sized 2-speed. Realize the pumps with the same HP can in fact have very different performance curves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!