cheap pool heater

Jun 24, 2013
Central Illinois
So I have been looking at different options for heating my pool. Let me say that I am cheap. I don't like to spend money. I am thinking about getting a pond pump, running it to some black tubing, then zip tie the tubing to the frame of the pool where it will get sunlight to warm it, before it discharges back into the pool.

I can get a 185 gph pump for about $15, and 100 feet of black landscape dripline 1/2" tube for $16. or I could get 20' of black pond tubing for about $12.

For about $30 I have a hundred feed of water in the sun.

Has anyone tried this or something like it? Looking at a lot of the "green pool heaters" they all seem to use the pool pump to push water through black tubing or a black plastic maze like a reverse heat sink. I don't like the idea of using my pool pump this way, plus I have an intex, and I understand the fittings are far from standard. thus the dedicated pump. I was originally looking at a sump pump, but did not like the cost or the fact that they don't seem to be designed to run 24/7.

Thoughts?

A pool solar panel would be much more efficient. You get the best heat gain with small tubing and high flow so you only get a very slight temperature rise through the panels.

For $80, you could have gotten 40 sqft of true solar panel. With that 400' of 1/2" pipe at best you have 16.6 sqft.

Solar heating is all about surface area ... and the panels have gotten so cheap (see Ebay), that a DIY solution rarely makes sense.

I am actually looking for ( in addition to being cheap) little to no space use. That's why I was thinking of running the tubing along the top rail of the pool....

xanadu: I am looking at your "Y" and trying to figure it out. Is that on the intake or discharge? It looks like you could run it either way? I must admit I am a bit confused. does the other end of the black tubing go on the other side of the "Y" where the valve is currently closed and then you shut off the valve in the middle? My other concern with using the pump is that I don't have a detached pump like yours. My pump is mounted on the sidewall under the skimmer. I am worried I would burn it out by running it in the 100' of extra tubing all the time...

Well, solar heating and small footprint are pretty contradictory goals.

Pumps do not burnout as long as water continues to move, although you have a pretty small pump and you should also realize that solar works best at high flow rates.

So combining, small footprint with low flow, you are not going to get much heat added to the pool.

jblizzle said:
For $80, you could have gotten 40 sqft of true solar panel. With that 400' of 1/2" pipe at best you have 16.6 sqft.

Solar heating is all about surface area ... and the panels have gotten so cheap (see Ebay), that a DIY solution rarely makes sense.

Please show me a link where I can get this solar panel at that price you mention. Thye are over $200 here, and there is no way I am spending that kind of cash when I need around 3-4 of them.

dpallyn said:
I am actually looking for ( in addition to being cheap) little to no space use. That's why I was thinking of running the tubing along the top rail of the pool....

xanadu: I am looking at your "Y" and trying to figure it out. Is that on the intake or discharge? It looks like you could run it either way? I must admit I am a bit confused. does the other end of the black tubing go on the other side of the "Y" where the valve is currently closed and then you shut off the valve in the middle? My other concern with using the pump is that I don't have a detached pump like yours. My pump is mounted on the sidewall under the skimmer. I am worried I would burn it out by running it in the 100' of extra tubing all the time...

The Y originally was for an out, and in. But I just do the out one now and have the other end of the hose hanging out into the pool sending the water back in.
I have a 18' easyset, and its a comfy 82 degrees today. Makes about a 5-7 degree differance I think.

Not sure about your pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
xanadu said:
jblizzle said:

Please show me a link where I can get this solar panel at that price you mention. Thye are over $200 here, and there is no way I am spending that kind of cash when I need around 3-4 of them.

Well, I was a little off on my memory, they are $90 for 40 sqft. Did you search Ebay? Here are a few:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XLong-Inground- ... 4d0fdb131f
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-20-Ingroun ... 4d096ecade

Or $165 for 80 sqft:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-x-20-Ingroun ... 51aa74d58f

NOTE: This is in no way and endorsement for these panels or this seller. I have no idea the quality of this product, but present it as an example to my point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.