So you think you can dance?

JFB

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Monréal, Québec, Canada
So after spending lots of time here and following the BBB and recommended levels for balancing my pool, I figured I was novice enough to tackle my mom's spa.

Here are the test results.

FC 4.5
CYA 0
CH 60
TA 10

I forgot to measure pH but let's assume its in the normal range. I'll get her to measure it. If its not in the normal range, I will get her to fix that first then the rest. I'm pretty certain it is in the normal range.

She uses bromine tablets in a floater in the spa. I'm a little surprised the DPD test showed chlorine as I didn't think bromine showed up in chlorine tests... Learn something everyday. Now she has had a spa for umpteen years (although this one is new) and I'm pretty sure she never has any algae problems let alone any water problems. So I don't want to change her methods for the sake of change, but I figured I'd help her balance her water to help her keep her spa maintenance free as well as save her money on chemicals she might have to buy.

Her spa is a typical stand alone 6 person fibreglass type.

Recommendations?

TA is way low so PH is way low. with the bromine tabs your going to have to add about 1 tbsp of baking soda a week to 10 days to keep TA and PH up. but after a month or two your TA could be good but ph low so you add soda ash to raise PH and not TA. for me it's like soda ash one week then baking soda the next after the tub water is 6-8 weeks old. it seams like after a little while the PH starts to drop faster then the TA. I know that makes no sense.

bromine tabs are acidic and drop the PH and TA. I lose about 10ppm TA every week to 10 days. but it really depends on how many tabs you have in the floater and the setting. the more tabs being dissolved will increases the amount of TA and PH drop. I try to keep my TA around 60-65ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.