First test with TF 100 test kit...

Aug 4, 2013
Guyton, GA
I just completed my first test with the TF 100 test kit and the results are in. <Drum roll> Pool Temp 85; FC - 1.0; pH -8.2; TA - 100; CH - 90; CYA - 20. My pH is always high. Had some aquarium tested yesterday and the pH read 8.5 which is OK for salt water fish. That's what is coming out of the ground. Not sure why the CYA is so low and I normally use Trichlor 1" tabs. I've been out so I've been using bleach. Is it safe to say I should raise the CYA to 40?

I guess I should have said that this is a new pool and I added 5.5 pounds of CYA at the initial startup of the pool at the beginning of July. I've been feeding my pool muriatic acid to keep the pH down.

If you are confident with where your CYA level is now I would raise it up some. 40 would be good. Use the pool calc to figure out how much stabilizer to use. calc.html
I checked on the pool calc and to get to a CYA level of 20 you would have to add 6lbs of stabilizer, so maybe the use of the tab's got you to 20. Maybe retest the CYA to make sure it's 20. You don't want to over shoot this level.

Your FC is low for your CYA level now and your aware of your PH.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I would also consider switching over to bleach or maybe a SWG.

Already put the figures in the calculator. I will retest before I raise the CYA. The black dot at the bottom of the tube almost disappeared as I could barely see it so I added a few more drops until it was completely gone. Second test is in order. My wife already brought 6 pounds home...guess it's always good to have on hand if needed. I just don't always have the time to use bleach daily so the pacs come in handy. I altered an empty bac pac so I can refill...much less expensive. Now that I think about it, we've had monsoons all summer and I've had to waste water from my pool several times to keep the levels at the skimmer level...thus the low CYA.

1. Lower your pH into the 7's 8.2 is not acceptable, regardless what comes out of the ground.

2. Get some chlorine in your pool. You are begging for an algae bloom.

Those are your first priorities....now you can deal with CYA.

duraleigh said:
1. Lower your pH into the 7's 8.2 is not acceptable, regardless what comes out of the ground.

2. Get some chlorine in your pool. You are begging for an algae bloom.

Those are your first priorities....now you can deal with CYA.

muriatic acid...done.
bleach...done.
stableizer...done.

I also did a retest on the CYA as suggested and only had to add half the amount of CYA. I had my wife check behind me. We both agreed that the black dot in the bottom of the viewing tube was slightly visible...a few additional drops make it disappear completely. I should be good to go now. Will recheck everything tomorrow night. Hopefully all these rainy days will turn to nice sunny ones.

Ditch the "Pool Frog System". The mineral pac puts unwanted and unneeded metals in your water. The Chlorine Pacs are just overpriced TriChlor. Keep in mind that Trichlor is almost 40% CYA and continued use of it will put your CYA through the roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.