Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large Ph changes

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Large Ph changes

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can advise.

I have had reason to massively change the ph of a couple of pools lately, as they were extremely high or low.

on each occasion the pool water turned a brown/green colour. After a day of filtering everything was fine on both pools. The backwash was almost like a dark rust colour.

Does anyone know what causes this please? is the large ph change making something drop out of solution maybe?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large Ph changes

Yes, it sounds like metals in the water and pH changes will precipitate that metal. So these are customer pools or friends pools? Just curious...and what were these pH extremes before you adjusted?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Large Ph changes

Thanks for your reply.

Since making the post has been doing some reading on the board here.

The pools were down around 3 ph and 10 respectively.
    the first had been left covered halfway through the cyprus summer! I had been asked to get it swimmable. It was like an acid bath! On arrival tests showed
    chlorine - 0
    Ph - 3 ish
    Ta - 5
    C/Hard - 50
    CYa - 6

Anyway after scrubbing ? hoovering to waste etc, I started with chemistry adding CYA, calcium flakes, Sodium Bicarbinate, sodium carbonate and alot of cal hypo!
    The pool water almost looking good with a few days. After checking the chemistry again, the ph was still low so i had to add another 4kg ( pool was 40k ltrs 0r 10k gallons ish)
    thats when it changed.

The other was the customer came into the shop complaining of green cloudy water etc

Anyway ph and ta throught the roof - so lots of sodium bisulphate added by various methods, again pool improved imediately. Final check of levels ph of 8 so some more s bisulphate was added and thats when the dropping out of the solution ccured.

Thanks again