Equipment Remodel questions

Aug 10, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hello All,

I have an oval above ground pool that is 15x30. (Appx. 10,000gal)

I currently have a 19" sand filter and a 1.5hp pump. (BV35) that I run 24/7

I bought a new motor for $90 that is a 2speed 1hp/.12hp pump. (B974)
I need to purchase a new wetend and I was looking at http://www.pooldeals.com/catalog/Waterway-2-SVL-56-Complete-Pump-Wet-End-p-17511.html. This is about the only place I could find one for sale. I am going to install all this at the edge of the deck, so it will be installed above the water level. I also the plan on using 2" PVC plumbing.

Now, if no one yells at me for that, I have a few questions.
I want to buy a cartridge filter and am unsure about the required size.
I was looking at a Hayward star clear 25ft² cartridge filter.

Is it possible to also hook up a small de filter after the cartridge? Something like a perflex Ec-30 or 40?
Now I understand that I would need to plumb both filters in line and then create a side route to bypass the cartridge for adding de powder
If this is possible would a .12hp pump be strong enough to filter the pool? Keeping in mind that this is an in ground pump and I won't have near the pressure resistance this pump is made to handle

What is your current pump model number and why do you need to replace it?

For your 10000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter.

Why do you want to replace your sand filter? Your current one is sized right at our minimum recommendation for your pool.

Mr_Matthew_L said:
Is it possible to also hook up a small de filter after the cartridge?
Why?

The current pump is rusted/corroded , cracked in spots, and leaks in a lot of other places. All the flex tubing is busting from the Sun's UV beating. The sand filter also leaks in all the fittings. Also the control valve on the top has no markings, I have been just using the flush, filter, and backwash settings from memory of a similer sand filter we had on our 30,000 pool from a different house.
I would like to try a cartridge filter because of the ease of use, and less water waste. I understand that it will also filter better. ie catches smaller debre. I was thinking if I put a small DE filter after that I could have the best of both worlds and not have to clean the de filter as much.

My current pump only says eco klear swimming pool pump.
I have 3 busted pumps that I have been swapping parts on for the last year and a half, so it technically doesnt have a model number.

If you are going to put the pump above the water level, it needs to be a self-priming pump (like the in ground pool pumps) or it will not work.

There is no need to run 2 filters in series that will just add head loss and reduce flow rates.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The new pump is for an in ground pool. I had a link for the wetend so y'all could take a look and correct me if I'm wrong.
2" piping is what they all seem to work with. Figured it would be easier to just use 2".
Using an IG pump would be built for more head loss that I figured would make up for the extra filter.
Guessing this pump on low speed would work?

Hmmm. I will get it all together and try it out then, and let you know if it did or didn't work.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.