Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another pint please

1. Back To Top    #1

Another pint please

Anyone else read this blog?
    I quite enjoy reading it and it has some decent recipes appear on it.
    Obviously it talks about beer too which can only be a positive thing IMO!
    If you haven't heard of it I think it's worth checking out. I always enjoy flicking through it
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another pint please

Bookmarked this blog in my browser. Has some good links contained within, some of which I have visited previously. Poolside activities and outdoor cooking are two of my passions. I plan to do my part to increase traffic and participation in the Outdoor Cooking forum within TFP.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just think it's a good read. If I'm looking for a recipe it's often a good starting point for me. I too love to cook (inside & out). Hopefully next year I can have a proper outdoor setup but even with my basic grill I'm still outside cooking 4-5 times/wk.

Seared some great Ahi Tuna last night along with some garlic butter shrimp. Got some porterhouse steaks (they're incredibly cheap at HEB - $5-6/ea!) for tonight. I'm a great convert to multi-zone cooking and reverse searing, it's been working really well for me.
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cbink
    I'm a great convert to multi-zone cooking and reverse searing...
    I have been reading a lot about reverse searing lately and will have to give it a try the next time I grill steaks. I think Ahi Tuna would still come out better with the quick "sear-first" method. But for steaks, the science behind the reverse sear method discussed in most of the articles I have read makes sense in theory. It seems similar to an accelerated version of the sous-vide method. I have tried that method (sous-vide) on whole Eye Round, which can be a tough cut of meat if not properly prepared. After the long sous-vide cook process (cooking the meat in a vacuum-packed plastic bag submerged in 125-130F water overnight and into the next day), I then seared the meat briefly under an infra-red burner and it was as tender as a Filet Mignon.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, reverse sear is great, it's just a bit of extra effort. For tuna, since you want the middle absolutely raw, reverse sear would ruin it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Just give me some sushi grade tuna and I don't need a grill
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Just give me some sushi grade tuna and I don't need a grill

I was in Cape Cod last week and we ate about 4 pounds of bluefin tuna .... no grill required
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Yeah, reverse sear is great, it's just a bit of extra effort. For tuna, since you want the middle absolutely raw, reverse sear would ruin it!
    Yeah the Tuna didn't get reverse seared!
    Just 45 secs on each side on direct medium high heat to give it a nice sear around the outside but leave the middle rare.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had some tuna last week... nice and pink/red, laying on daikon next to the salmon .... yummy!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I had some tuna last week... nice and pink/red, laying on daikon next to the salmon .... yummy!
    I love Tuna. I like Salmon too but have always preferred Rainbow Trout, mainly because it always used to be cheaper to get (I grew up in the UK and Trout was a lot cheaper than Salmon) and I really like the taste.

11. Back To Top    #11

The only rainbow trout I ever ate was about 20 feet from a camper/caravan with my grandfather. We were usually within site of the lake where we caught it.

OK, I caught some without him... but it was still camping. I don't think I have ever paid for trout.

My tuna was sushi...

since this is a pint thread... i did have a pint of cider that night!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    The only rainbow trout I ever ate was about 20 feet from a camper/caravan with my grandfather. We were usually within site of the lake where we caught it.

OK, I caught some without him... but it was still camping. I don't think I have ever paid for trout.

My tuna was sushi...

since this is a pint thread... i did have a pint of cider that night!
    Clearly I hadn't had enough coffee (or beer) when I responded as I missed that!

I was craving an Innis & Gunn with the Tuna. Need to see if I can find it at Specs or similar. Definitely NOT a session beer, but **** good to pair with food, particularly seafood IMO.

http://www.innisandgunn.com/the-rang...ange/original/