Recent install of Pentair VS, programming schedules?

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
A little background. My brother has a 22' x 36' x 9ft deep rectangular inground gunite pool without spa. My best estimate is 35K gallons and we both think the pool is over 25 years old with a remodel done around 10 years ago. Since he lives in Socal, the electricity cost can go up dramatically based on usage during peak hours and usage above a set tier system. Electricity starts at .12cents a kilowatt, but can be as high as .30 cents if he's using at a peak hour or he goes into the higher tiers.

In an effort to reduce his electricity bill from the average of $350.00, he decided that he wanted to switch out his 1HP single speed Hayward Superpump for a Pentair VS pump. He originally asked his 5 minute pool guy to give a quote, but he wanted $1500 for the install including the parts / labor. Being the DIY guy I am, I offered to help with the install for a mere 12" subway sandwich and all the beer I could drink (turned out to be 2). So to make a long story short, we installed his new pump for $975 including pump and pvc parts. Since his main panel already had a dedicated GFI pump circuit and all the proper sized wiring was already in the subpanel, we installed the new pump by using the current intermatic timer with the switch triggers removed. When he upgrades to a salt system next season, we will switch out the sub panel and remove the timer from the system.

So.. my question regarding the programming is in regards to the on/off scheduling. In order to take advantage of off peak usage times, we programmed the VS timer Speed #1 to come on at 7:00am-11:00am at 1200rpm. I then used Speed #2 for the second on/off times of 8:00pm - 12:00am at the same 1200rpm. Does the VS timer allow for two schedule times without having to assign another of the Speeds 2-8? I planned on using Speeds 2-4 (buttons on panel) for a suction side cleaner, quick skimmer setting 2500 rpm and manual vacuum speed of 3100rpm.

What's a post without pics...

Before
2u5q3cy.jpg

After
ogvzh3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.