Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae growing in 15 ppm FC. How come?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae growing in 15 ppm FC. How come?

Hello,
    I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool. I was following the typo on the Weekly Test Kit laminated sheet, so I thought my levels were lower than they actually were. In the equation example the test kit sheet has (i.e. 14 drops x .05= 7) instead of x .5. Just figured that out.
    That being said, here were my levels BEFORE going into super shock mode.
    FC 15 gr
    CC .5
    TC 15.5
    TA 80
    CYA 60
    I've added two gallons of liquid shock and two bags of granular shock and put 2 new hockey pucks in the floater and am going to retest shortly. I scrubbed down the pool walls to get rid of the green once again.
    Temperature has been unusually cool this week.
    24' AGP
    Hayward DE filter
    Hayward 1 hp Power-Flo Matrix

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae growing in 15 ppm FC. How come?

Welcome to the forum.

By "super shock mode", do you mean the SLAM process?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBreakdown
    Hello,
    I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool. I was following the typo on the Weekly Test Kit laminated sheet, so I thought my levels were lower than they actually were. In the equation example the test kit sheet has (i.e. 14 drops x .05= 7) instead of x .5. Just figured that out.
    That being said, here were my levels BEFORE going into super shock mode.
    FC 15 gr
    CC .5
    TC 15.5
    TA 80
    CYA 60
    I've added two gallons of liquid shock and two bags of granular shock and put 2 new hockey pucks in the floater and am going to retest shortly. I scrubbed down the pool walls to get rid of the green once again.
    Temperature has been unusually cool this week.
    If the pucks are trichlor they have CYA. You don't want to add more CYA. Your level is getting pretty high now.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBreakdown
    I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool.
    FC 15 gr
    CC .5
    CYA 60
    Maybe the algae was growing before you got your test kit and based on your CYA, you never got up to a high enough FC level to kill it off. Per this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock you need to gt your FC up to 24.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies.
    Entirely possible the algae was still lurking before I got the kit to make sure the levels were high enough to prevent it from coming back.
    Will soldier on with the SLAM process and we're getting doused with another round of rain to make it more fun. I might need to have a whole truckload of the liquid shock (12.5%) delivered. It is actually cheaper than the lower concentration plain bleach at our supermarket.
    24' AGP
    Hayward DE filter
    Hayward 1 hp Power-Flo Matrix

6. Back To Top    #6

Those pucks will only get you into more trouble. Keep your SLAM FC levels up using liquid chlorine (bleach).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100