S

sp.jps2009

Hi, I opened my pool two years ago and after a lot of chlorine after chlorine last year we weren't able to make it clear. This year we opened it and again chlorine after chlorine nothing happened. Earlier this month and i found this website after putting algecide and no change in greenness. So on this website I saw the best way was to shock it. My size is about 36' x18' and 7' on the deepest side. So yesterday I put around 23 pounds of shock: this kind: PoolBrand Quick Dissolving Shock - 1 lb. - 24 ct. - Sam's Club and today the pool has changed from dark green to light green. I saw that the sides had algae on them so i scrubbed it with a brush and now it is a little more greener. So we went to the pool store and they gave the following readings:
FAC: 5.0
PH: 7.5
Alkanity: too much chlorine to figure out
CYA: 40
CH: 110
Phosphate: 0
and they said we need firstly the Hardness to 200 so you need 25lb of that and clarifier after a few days. The pool is light green now so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

You aren't finished with the process. You know that you are finished with the SLAM process when your pool water looks sparkly and blue, your CC is 0.5 or less, and your pool holds to within 1 ppm of FC loss or less overnight. Here is how you get it done: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

So you are telling me i need to add more shock? Which type because i don't want to add more CYA which is what the product i used does. Also do you have any idea how much i need to add. Also one more thing is is it normal to have those numbers after shocking the pool? Thanks

sp.jps2009 said:
So you are telling me i need to add more shock? Which type because i don't want to add more CYA which is what the product i used does. Also do you have any idea how much i need to add. Also one more thing is is it normal to have those numbers after shocking the pool? Thanks
You need to add bleach or liquid pool shock. It is one and same, just the concentration is different. How much water is in your pool? The pool calculator will show you how much to add. Read pool school and play with the pool calculator. We can't help you until we know how big your pool is.

You should also invest in a good test kit. Pool store readings can be very inaccurate. Read pool school it explains a lot. Somebody will probably post soon with more detailed advice.

sp.jps2009 said:
I said my pool is 36' x 18' and 7' on the deepest side so its about 25000 gallons.

Sorry, missed that. Your target value is FC =16 for a CYA level of 40. That would be about 2.5 - 3.0 gallons of 12.5% bleach assuming your current FC =5. You can plug the exact figures into the pool calculator. I think the link is in the sig line of one of the previous posts.

Anyone can tell me what the best time to put more chlorine is? is right now the best time or when? Also anyone know if the clarifier of any use ? One thing to add is that i added shock at around 8:00pm last night. I didnt put anything after that and i backwashed and filtered after that the whole time. Thanks

Are you still SLAMing the pool ? What are you using to test with ? I would highly recommend getting one of our reccommended test kits.

No need for clarifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

sp.jps2009 said:
Anyone can tell me what the best time to put more chlorine is? is right now the best time or when? Also anyone know if the clarifier of any use ? Thanks
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Please slow down. It is not a good idea to ever make any large changes/adjustments to your pool water chemistry.

By adding the 23lbs of dichlor, that raised the CYA by appx 56. So, now your CYA is about 100, which is too high. I suggest that you do several drain/refills and lower the CYA to about 50. You should do this first.

Once that is done, then you can retest, and follow the SLAM process in Pool School.

The PoolCalculator, link in my sig, will help you figure doses.

Please post back with any questions and someone will be here to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the thing is in the morning it was almost clear and i saw that the sides had algae on it so i brushed it and now the pool is mostly light green. Also what is the best product to SLAM the pool? bleach or what? Also do you think it needs bleach as DorsalSpine suggested?

You can use regular household bleach to SLAM, BUT you need a way to accurately test your levels. With out a good test kit your shooting from the hip. You need to have a accurate way to test your CYA and FC levels.

Read the SLAM process in pool school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Hi, welcome to TFP! When CYA is added in dry form it can take a few days to register on the test. The "shock" product you used contains CYA. The best way to clear your pool would be to do a series of drain and refill cycles to get the CYA down to around 30 ppm, then use liquid chlorine, either from the pool store or 8.25% plain unscented bleach from the grocery store. Liquid chlorine will not add CYA or calcium to your pool.

You should read the slam process for information on how to clear the pool of algae. You will need a high quality test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 to test the high levels of chlorine needed in the slam process. You can use the Pool calculator to determine the slam level for your pool.

sp.jps2009 said:
ok thanks for the advice. As soon as progress is made ill post an update
You really do need to buy one of the test kits recommended here. The advice you receive here is all about being able to accurately measure your pool chemistry and fix the problem without adding a bunch of stuff you don't need. The money you save in not buying chemicals you don't need will more than pay for the kit.

I was in your shoes just a couple of months ago and I understand the desire to put something in the pool right now. That's a hold over from doing what the pool store said to do. The purpose here is to teach you how to do it yourself. To do that we need good numbers to start with.

When I told you to add bleach it was good and bad advice. Good in that bleach won't add other things you don't need. Bad in that you just took my advice instead of the pool store and it didn't teach you anything. With good test numbers the people here will give you good advice and teach you why it was good advice along the way. That way you understand what you are doing and why instead of just doing what some guy with a funny user name said to do. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.