Reducing ph without affecting TA

I see no reason to adjust either one but here's how if you want to anyway.

1. Lower the pH with muriatic acid....that reduces TA as well.

2. Increase TA back up by adding baking soda....it'll have negligible affect on your pH.

Ok, I just thought I was right on the edge of being too high. The pool came with "pH down", sodium bisulfate. Since we already have it, is there any down side to the stuff? Just thought that might be easier than the acid/baking soda combo. Not trying to support the pool store, but since its sitting in the shed?

xray328 said:
Ok, I just thought I was right on the edge of being too high. The pool came with "pH down", sodium bisulfate. Since we already have it, is there any down side to the stuff? Just thought that might be easier than the acid/baking soda combo. Not trying to support the pool store, but since its sitting in the shed?

Yes, it adds sulfates to the pool. BUT to use it sparingly and for a short time wouldn't be a big deal since you have it. Worrying too much about a small amount is also kind of micro managing the details. Its just that we all have the general philosophy of adding things that have minimal side effects. That said, it can stain and or damage a plaster pool if allowed to make it too and sit on the bottom un-dissolved. Not sure of the effects on vinyl, but if it was mine, I would dilute it in a bucket first. If you do that, remember put the water in the bucket first. ALWAYS: acid to water....NOT water to acid. If you really want to know what I would advise with all this in mind, I must say if it were me, I would write off that free acid, or may even see if they would trade it for MA. If not, I would just forget it and dispose of it, and use MA when I needed it. That is just me though.

Most importantly, please know it is great to be vigilant, but you are in a no worry zone with those numbers. pH 7.6 is a great number in a pool. I target 7.5-7.6 and this is just fine. Since this is in line, try to remember focusing on your CYA to FC ratio and understand it thoroughly. Don't be hung up here and let that slip from your sight. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.