Who has refilled the Frog Bacpac?

Aug 17, 2013
I'm new to this Forumn and I have read several threads about the pool frog and how people don't like it.

But, I have a question. Has anyone refilled the chlorine BacPacs with 1" tabs? If you have what did you use to seal the top off with after refilling? I assume you drilled a approx 11/8" hole at the top to add the tabs.

The Bacpac is supposed to work by keeping an air pocket which I guess only gets a certain amount of tabs wet which keeps them from dissolving so quickly.

I tried it but it didn't really work. The water doesn't follow the course it's supposed to and so the adjuster doesn't work right any more. All of the tablets end up dissolving within a day or so.

And no, I don't like it. The bac pacs are overpriced, the mineral reservoir is overpriced, and the copper it introduces causes staining, green hair, and only kills algae instead of sanitizing the water. So I removed it. If you really want to use pucks a floater is a better option than trying to rig a pool frog. You do have to keep a close eye on your CYA when using pucks though, do you happen to know what your CYA level is?

I cut a small door as low down as possible, below the pin prick vent hole.
The door must just fit a 1" tablet.
I then feed them in the slot and seal it back up with rubber bands making sure that I dont block the vent hole.
What works well as a seal for me are five 2.5"x1/2" rubber bands. 2 under the flap to creat a seal and three to hold it down.
20200516_103657.jpg20200516_103716.jpg20200516_104342.jpg20200516_104421.jpg20200516_104530.jpg

I have a shed i store the pool frog cartridges in. id gets hot and the seal broke when i squeezed the canister. i then thought at $20 a pop , that i would somehow put chlorine tabs in my self. I take a large puck and hold in hand and hit with hammer , then i put pieces in. (usually 4 pucks). i work in body shop so i use quickset 50 epoxy and i just seal it back. Works fine. did 4 today and saved almost $80.... i break it so the water is exposed to many edges like the small tablets. I havent just put 4 pucks in. also, dont put alot of anything on the outside cause it wont fit back inside mineral sleeve. use a hard glue or epox so when its empty you can squeeze cannister and brek seal and just keep doing it again. please let me know how everyone makes out and if could be doing something better, thanks enjoy your pools!!!

I have a shed i store the pool frog cartridges in. id gets hot and the seal broke when i squeezed the canister. i then thought at $20 a pop , that i would somehow put chlorine tabs in my self. I take a large puck and hold in hand and hit with hammer , then i put pieces in. (usually 4 pucks). i work in body shop so i use quickset 50 epoxy and i just seal it back. Works fine. did 4 today and saved almost $80.... i break it so the water is exposed to many edges like the small tablets. I havent just put 4 pucks in. also, dont put alot of anything on the outside cause it wont fit back inside mineral sleeve. use a hard glue or epox so when its empty you can squeeze cannister and brek seal and just keep doing it again. please let me know how everyone makes out and if could be doing something better, thanks enjoy your pools!!!
Any chance you could post pictures of where the seal broke and what it looks like after you seal it back? Or even better, step by step pictures that shows the size you break them into and how you reseal without getting too much stuff on outside so the canister still fits back in correctly? Also, does it create enough of a seal to make it work as it's supposed to by only filling water up so far so it doesn't dissolve the tabs too quickly like someone else mentioned? I'm anxious to try this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.