Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who has refilled the Frog Bacpac?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who has refilled the Frog Bacpac?

I'm new to this Forumn and I have read several threads about the pool frog and how people don't like it.

But, I have a question. Has anyone refilled the chlorine BacPacs with 1" tabs? If you have what did you use to seal the top off with after refilling? I assume you drilled a approx 11/8" hole at the top to add the tabs.

The Bacpac is supposed to work by keeping an air pocket which I guess only gets a certain amount of tabs wet which keeps them from dissolving so quickly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who has refilled the Frog Bacpac?

You don't have to go to all that trouble. Just open up the top and fill it with 1" tablets. You don't have to close it back up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I tried it but it didn't really work. The water doesn't follow the course it's supposed to and so the adjuster doesn't work right any more. All of the tablets end up dissolving within a day or so.

And no, I don't like it. The bac pacs are overpriced, the mineral reservoir is overpriced, and the copper it introduces causes staining, green hair, and only kills algae instead of sanitizing the water. So I removed it. If you really want to use pucks a floater is a better option than trying to rig a pool frog. You do have to keep a close eye on your CYA when using pucks though, do you happen to know what your CYA level is?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

If I don't cover the top fill hole won't it dissolve the tabs quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You don't have to go to all that trouble. Just open up the top and fill it with 1" tablets. You don't have to close it back up.

5. Back To Top    #5

Didn't seem to make much difference in the ones my sis did that way.
    I think they say that so you won't try to refill them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Didn't seem to make much difference in the ones my sis did that way.
    I think they say that so you won't try to refill them.
    Ok, cool. I will give it a try.

Thanks for your input.