Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Ok with the Taylor test kit my reading is
FC 14.5
Cya 100
Ph 7.2
Alk 110

I imagine my FC is high due to my cya level. Is it harmful with such a high chlorine level? I know I have to drain my pool to get the cya down In the meantime what can I do? Can't drain the water yet
Thanks

With CYA at 100 your FC minimum is 7, target of 12 and it is safe to swim up to shock level (39) Keep your chlorine above 7 at all times until you can drain and refill.

Your chlorine is high because of the amount of chlorine added. (But really its not high at all) (It kind of sounds like your saying your high CYA created your high chlorine so just clarifying that) High chlorine is NEEDED because of your high CYA. Are you sure its not higher cause I think it maxes at 100)

Unless you have already done so, try re-doing the CYA test using a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water, then double the result ... that will allow you to maybe get a better estimate, especially if it is > 100ppm.

I think it should also be noted that pH readings are not accurate when FC is above 10. It may be lower than 7.2 and need adjusted.

I also second Butterfly's suggestion, mix half tap water with half pool water and use that to do a CYA test. Get a reading and double the results, that will give you a closer reading of your actual CYA level and allow you to maintain your pool until a drain is possible. You will absolutely want to maintain proper FC levels, an algae bloom would be very difficult right now.

Back in July you shared your first readings with a TF-100, now you have a taylor kit? I don't understand, did you buy a different kit? You said back then your CYA was 180, unless you have changed water then that is still true, and if you have been using trichlor this whole time then your CYA is even higher than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thesil said:
That's amazing because I haven't added anything. But baking soda in weeks

Whats amazing? that your chlorine is where it's at or that your PH might be lower than 7.2?

If you haven't added liquid chlorine/bleach, that does seem amazing for your FC to get to 14 with tabs alone, though, I don't know what your putting them in and how many at a time.

The use of Tabs lowers your ph.

Well, this thread is getting pretty confusing. I can't follow it anymore.

Back to OP's original question....With a CYA of 100, your FC needs to remain between 7-12 ppm NEVER lower than 7 ppm.

OP, you need to read and re-read Pool School and consult the FC/CYA chart.

Donldson said:
Back in July you shared your first readings with a TF-100, now you have a taylor kit? I don't understand, did you buy a different kit? You said back then your CYA was 180, unless you have changed water then that is still true, and if you have been using trichlor this whole time then your CYA is even higher than that.

Very true Butterfly, I just wanted to clarify. Thesil, if you haven't done a water change and continued using trichlor up until a week ago your CYA is somewhere around 200. In that case 14.5 is below your minimum of 15. you must keep your FC level between 15-23 at all times to avoid any problems.

Thesil said:
No saltwater. Chlorine. Was using trichlor. Used the last one over a week ago. My Clorox is ready when needed

And that time is now. If you still have any pucks you must stop using them. I remember your other posts with high CYA, and high water cost in Houston right? You will have a battle with CYA so high and it really needs to come down. Can you not drain any water...a little at a time to avoid the over 10K and 20K gallon up-charge?

Also, can you please put your pool info in your signature line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.