Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water in ground by pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Water in ground by pipe

So I was getting air in my pump and coming out my jets. I checked around for issues but couldn't find any. I dug down a little near the pipe that comes out of the ground and connects my pump to the skimmer. There was a small amount of water. When I turn the pump on it doesn't come back but as soon as I shut it off it does. I'm not losing water or at least not a lot of water in the pool. I can't find the hole though. It seems like its by two clamps that were down about a foot but I'm not positive. Is there an easy way to find the leak? Once I find it can I repair without replacing the pipe? Any help is appreciated.
    22000 gallon
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water in ground by pipe

Here is a picture of the problem. When I close of the pipe and just let the bottom drain work the air bubbles stop. It appears to be leaking from the connection. I've tightened both clamps but it didn't help. Any ideas on how I should approach fixing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22000 gallon
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Water in ground by pipe

That connection is likely the culprit. Seems like you might be able to fill up the hole with water and turn on the pump. There should be no bubbles in the pump strainer basket then and that will positively identify the culprit.

Rubber couplings are pretty troublesome for leaking. I would simply make a hard PVC coupling there and be done with it if that turns out to be the air source.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School