Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: complete my 'signature' and info on use

1. Back To Top    #1

complete my 'signature' and info on use

I purchased a used pool and equipment. Unfortunately there are no manuals with anything and I am trying to learn as much as I can about install and use. Thanks to this forum I found out I have a Raypak/Rudd 266 BTU gas heater. I have taken pictures of the pump (splapool 72729, 8 amp,1 SPL HP, 75 GPM, 115 V), there is also a sand filter that has a couple model numbers (D-400 or 500 or 600). The circumference of the filter is 52 in. Any basics of install and initial setup/use would be appreciated. There is no sand in it so I don't even know what/how much sand to use. I am also interested in your thoughts on the overall group of equipment, is it appropriate for pool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18*34 above ground doughboy
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: complete my 'signature' and info on use

It is hard to find info on the "SPLAPOOL" brand.

The pump appears to be an uprated 1 hp pump.

The filter is (52/12/pi/2)^2*pi= 1.49 sq. ft. but probably more like 1.4 sq. ft. due to the filter wall thickness. I would guess this is a 100 lb sand filter, since that is what pentair and hayward filters of the same diameter are.

This filter is small for your pool. If you were buying a new filter, we would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter.

You will need "pool filter sand" that can be bought at pool stores and some big box home improvement stores.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

how much sand do I need with the filter?
    Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

and how do I set the filter up? Put sand and water in, cover it and then hook up to system with pump. I am not sure of the purpose of all the valve locations. Which one do I at least start it in? This is our first pool so are learning everything from scratch.
    Also, is the pump a type that would just stay on continuous?
    The pool is just about full so I am assuming I let it get past the skimmer and I should be able to turn on the pump.
    Minnesota

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by phawn
    how much sand do I need with the filter?
    Is there any sand already in it?
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no sand in it. It was dumped out by the old owner prior to removal. Apparently my wife said he used regular 'play' sand.
    Minnesota

7. Back To Top    #7

As I stated above, I think that is a 100 lb filter (the D-400). So 100 lbs. In my experience, it usually is around 2/3 from the top of the "cylindrical" style filters.

Use "pool filter sand" it should be #20 silica sand.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks,
    Do I then fill it with water, put the multiport top on and put it on circulate? The directions on the side of the cylinder make reference to a relief valve but I don't see one on it.
    Also, do the written in multivalve locations seem correct? which one would it be on initially?
    Minnesota

9. Back To Top    #9

Fill it about half way with water before you add sand. This makes the sand addition easier on the laterals. Lets just hope the previous owner did not damage them when he removed the sand!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks,
    Then hook up, set to 'backflush', turn on pump, let run, shut off pump, then put to 'filter', then turn pump back on? Again, no relieve valve noticeable. There is a drain plug on the bottom but that must be for winterizing I assume.
    Minnesota

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Check to make sure the laterals are not damaged. Ther is supposed to be a pipe running down the center of the filter that the multiport valve connects to. At the bottom there will be an array of tubes radiating out from it, these are the laterals. These tubes are slotted for water to flow thru. This has to be in good working order (no bloken parts) prior to filling with sand. It also has a locator molded into the bottom of the tank to position it properly.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

The laterals seem fine. I will be putting the water and sand in tonight so any info on start up with the valve positions and procedure would be appreciated,
    Thanks.
    Minnesota

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I think the rinse setting is under the handle. I usually start mine up on backwash then move the selector to rinse. After that you can set it to filter
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

What does the back wash actually do (conceptually)?
    Minnesota

15. Back To Top    #15

Backwash reverses the flow of water through the sand and routes it out the waste port, which cleans the sand bed.

As a point of reference, you should stop the pump each time before moving the multiport valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, sorry for so many questions but how is that different than rinse and waste?
    Minnesota

17. Back To Top    #17

Waste bypasses the sand bed entirely and goes directly to the waste port, rinse is the same as filter (goes through the sand in the same direction) but the flow gets routed out the waste port and does not go to the pool. The purpose of rinse is to get out any remaining debris that was left in the filter path from backwashing so that it does not go to the pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks,
    What about "winter flush" and "close"? Is the bottem plug for draining in winter?
    Minnesota