Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New test kit. Are these readings good?

1. Back To Top    #1

New test kit. Are these readings good?

I just did my first test with a TF100 kit, and got the following readings:

FC = 5.5
    CC = 0.5
    CYA = 50
    CH = 270
    TA = 80
    pH = 7.5

I've been using bleach as my chlorine. I have an Intex vinyl pool. Are these readings good?
    23,000 gal. IG gunite pool, DE filter, elevated spa with spillover, Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New test kit. Are these readings good?

Nothing too bad there, although I do worry about your CYA number since you said you just did the test and it is almost midnight. Correct lighting it critical to getting good results on the CYA test, this test should be done outdoors under sunlight with the sun to your back and the view tube held at waist level. Trying to perform this test under artificial light will tend to give bad results, often reading low.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, just to clarify, I performed the test at around 6:15 this evening. I was indoors when I did the test.
    23,000 gal. IG gunite pool, DE filter, elevated spa with spillover, Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

So long as there was sufficient light as Ike describes above, you're good to go.

One more tip, as thus test is very subjective, many of us also like to advise the 1st time cya testers to repeat the test several times. This can be done with the same solution of reagent and pool water without effecting the results. Simply squirt it into the tube after you have followed the instructions for mixing, then resting, then a final mix and when you're ready to test again, just suck it back up into the squeeze bottle, you'll get most of it out of the graduated tube this way, then pour the rest back into the squeeze bottle. Cap it, then turn it end over end a few times, no need to violently shake, then try again, squirting it back into the test tube again.
    Do this as many times as you feel you need to in order to get consistent results and feel confident with the test.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Your test results are close to perfect.....keep them there and enjoy your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School