Pebbletec Pool, white spots

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I have a Pebbletec pool which I believe is Pebbletec over plaster construction,right?

Well, I have many white spots, about the size of a pebble. I have felt them and they are assuredly where a pebble has dislodged as it is recessed. If the cosmetics don't bother me do I need to be concerned for any other reason?

Reactions: Newtopebbletec
If I understand you correctly then No. The pebbles are mixed into the plaster base mix just like making cement, not applied over plaster in another step. If you have pebbles coming out regularly it could indicate a problem with your pool chemistry past or present. It could have be a problem with the application process and or start up of the new finish. Pebbles becoming dislodged exposes more of the plaster base and it defeats the purpose of having pebbles in the finish. I'm not saying you have imbalanced water, or that you did, but I would certainly want to know about that. Please tell us everything you know about it as far back as you know. Post that and a current set of numbers and we can advise you better.

Fresh results

4-Aug 17-Aug
PH 7.5 7.6
FC 12 13
CC 0 0
TC 12 13
TA 110 100
CH 590 500
CYA 160 135 Average of two tests of 130 and 140/somewhat qualitative as you know

Pool was installed sometime in 2005 by previous owners. Had Pool Frog and Trichlor shock, Ozonator
Stopped using Pool Frog a month after moving in during late 2008. Ozonator stayed attached, not even sure it worked.
Used Trichlor pucks and PhosFree and Muriatic Acid. Month ago started BBB. Partial drains and dilution, live in the desert so I wait for rain and then drain some just prior to storm. CYA and CH going down slowly, TA coming down due to Muriatic acid.

Never have had algae, probably because even in my ignorance and pool store telling me my chlorine was high, I erred on the high side. FC was 11.5 when I took out the Trichlor pucks, have maintined it at 12-13 since. I think it could be a little higher for safety.

Anyway, do any of these numbers give you pause about possibly causing a few pebbles to come loose?
There appear to be some small copper stains on bottom (someone said casued by Pool Frog) but my CH is high so I am pretty sure plaster is well protected from leaching.

Nope, not from that. I still stick with my original guess. Past low pH issues or install issues. Maybe they just over did it on the acid wash, maybe an acid startup was too aggressive. No way to know. I'm sure some tiny amount of pebble loss is normal, but I don't know what that "normal" would be. Obviously, if there is a lot that isn't good, but I don't see much you can do about it. Hopefully it won't worsen. Sorry not to offer more, but that's all I can say really. Looks like you've been reading up and you are working on the calcium and CYA issues, so good on you for that.

Well, here is one thought. You mention low PH. I keep mine at 7.5-7.6, but I also read that high CYA and the high FC levels that go with it can cause bad PH ratings. But wrong whoch way? False hogh or false low or we don't know? Also, since PH is related to TA, I believe, are TA readings suspect too?

In other words could I have much lower PH than I think?

The high FC will give you false high pH, so no worries about that. Also, I have no reason to suspect a problem with your TA. At all. Please do not worry about that. I also must apologize if I caused you alarm for a low pH situation. I didn't think you had one for any particular reason, more that there could have been in the past. Unless there is something I am not thinking of, my previous guesses are what I am sticking with. I just cant think of anything other than what I mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Thanks, a lot of all these questions is in the interest of learning. Read, experiment, note the results. As they say, it is what it is as far as the white spots missing pebbles. Certainly not so unsightly as to cause me to want to spend what, 10 grand on a refinish!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.