Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner Needs HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner Needs HELP!!

Hi Everyone!
    I just purchased my first home and it has a pool...a GREEN pool! HA! I have been trying to about 2 weeks to get this pool back to blue. I have put it an entire thing of algeside and 8 bags of shock so far. Nothing is budging. I try to clean the filter twice a day.

Pool - Under ground
    Filter - Hayward Star Clear Plus C900

Here's the issue now...I tried to vacuum the pool today to see if I can get more of the algae out. When I put the hose into the skimmer...I don't get any suction. The jets are pushing out water (sometimes stronger than others) but the skimmer isn't sucking.

What are my next steps? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: New Pool Owner Needs HELP!!

I would suggest starting with reading the pool school link in the upper right, then read some of the advanced material on the SLAM process and how to clear a swamp, we can help with step by step along the way, but it really helps to have a common language as a starting point.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

There is probably a diverter valve before the filter. The selector should be placed midway between skimmer & bottom drain.
    My Hayward Aquarite Repair write-up here:!/HaywardAquariteRepair

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree at least read the ABCs article so you understand the terminology. Then you will need one of the recommended test kits (see link in my signature) and then follow the SLAM process. [slam:2gbv26ih][/slam:2gbv26ih]

BTW a 3-way valve selecting between the floor and skimmer would be found on the suction pipes before the pump (which I suppose is technically before the filter). If you do not have valves at the equipment, there could be a float diverter in the skimmer under the basket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!