First Post to say Hi!

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
Just joined the forum because I want to stop paying the pool guy soon and I always like to know more about stuff.

We bought the house in December 2012. According to neighbors the previous owner had drained the pool some time ago after they let it turn green. They then apparently refilled it for the purpose of adding value to the home sale. There was a huge black algae spot on the north side of the pool. One guy said I needed to replaster to remove it and that didn't seem like a good option at the time, although I do want to replaster in the future. The pool guy that I have now told me he would be able to remove the black algae but I wouldn't be able to swim in it for 2 months, which was fine since it was winter. He did an awesome job and the pool has been crystal clear ever since.

The pool definitely needs some work. There are a few missing tiles and there's a piece of exposed rebar by the skimmer "catch." The plaster kind of looks like the moon and there are some cracks in the steps, but it seems to only lose water from evaporation/use and not from leaking.

I'm looking to get a cover, but not exactly sure how to approach the kidney bean shape. My pool equipment is virtually nonexistent; I have a leaf skimmer with a hole in it and that's about it. The pump is six months old. Through our home warranty I was able to get a pool company to look at the old pump that was leaking. LA DWP has a rebate on eco friendly pumps so I replaced the old one with a Hayward EcoStar.

Thanks for providing a place to ask questions and I look forward to getting a lot of use out of the forum!

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 100
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The first step to taking control is understanding ... all that information is available for free in Pool School (button at upper right)

The second step is using one of the recommended test kits so that there is no guessing required when it comes to the chemistry.

The third step is getting a nice lounge chair, an umbrella, and a cold beverage sitting by the crystal clear pool :cheers:

Thanks jblizzle!

I've been skimming through the Pool School.

I did an Amazon search for K-2006 (FAS-DPD) and see many different prices. From this info does this look to be the correct kit: Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006? If there are multiple versions what is the one component I need to make sure is in there?

I have the third step down! Gazebo covers the patio, LCD mounted on the wall, projector for the yard, and a kegerator :cheers:

That is the right kit, but I would recommend the TF-100 over the K-2006 as it comes with more of the reagents you need ... see the link in my signature for a comparison.

Plus, the owner of this forum is the seller of the TF-100 ... so if you like the forum ... ;)

Thanks for letting me know and I will definitely support the owner of the forum by purchasing it through him.

My pool guy does a great job, as far as I can tell. Would it be worth my time while I'm learning about maintaining my own pool to buy the kit now and run tests while I continue to pay him or do you recommend letting him go and moving forward myself?

Well, the speed stir is a GREAT addition to help with testing.
You should have a brush ... recommend the Wall Whale
May want to get a leaf rake without a hole ;) ... not the flat one, the one with a bag to scoop leaves off the bottom.

Is there any kind of cleaner? Suction side/pressure side/robot? You will want something to suck all the dirt up. Could start with a hose and a vacuum head to do it manually.

If you are only looking for basic equipment ... probably. They have a lot of rakes, and brushes, and that sort of thing.
Do not talk to them about chemistry though.
And I would not get into talking about any automated cleaners either.

Of course you can find all this stuff cheaper online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been almost a year since my last post and I'm FINALLY ready to take over my pool!
1. I want to support the owner of the site, which means I'll probably become a lifetime member, so is this the place to get the TF-100 kit? http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
2. Is the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer what's being referenced above and in the Options section of the tfteskits.net site?
3. I've got my leaf skimmer that has the bag and it works great.
4. Cleaner/vacuum: I will need to purchase something and I don't mind spending some money on something that is worth it. Recommendations?
5. Anything else that can be thought of for taking over this project?

Welcome back!

How does your pool get sanitized today? Is there some form of chemical automation involved? Once you take over maintenance of the pool, you will have to jump in with both feet by testing the water and knowing or getting help on what to do to react to the numbers.

I would like to see you post a full set of test numbers so we can see what you have to work with. Its not uncommon for people to inherit a pool that is not properly balanced, even though there are no outward signs of trouble. As you should know by now, this site and its knowledge base are not going to work well with most dry chlorine sanitation methods. I've used bleach and have recently converted to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG/SWCG). I've also use tri-chlor pucks which ultimately led me to this site!

Also, take a stab at estimating your pool volume. You will need a starting point to calculate most chemical dosage levels. Go to the bottom of the PoolMath link found at the top of the forum and you will find a calculator to estimate pool volume. Based on your photo above, it looks like you could call it an oval, an then add in maybe 500-1000 gallons for the step out area. As you gain experience, you will get a good feel your pool volume by testing the impact of many of your chemistry adjustments.

It has been almost a year since my last post and I'm FINALLY ready to take over my pool!
1. I want to support the owner of the site, which means I'll probably become a lifetime member, so is this the place to get the TF-100 kit? http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
2. Is the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer what's being referenced above and in the Options section of the tfteskits.net site?
3. I've got my leaf skimmer that has the bag and it works great.
4. Cleaner/vacuum: I will need to purchase something and I don't mind spending some money on something that is worth it. Recommendations?
5. Anything else that can be thought of for taking over this project?

I suggest a combo brush for your older plaster.

Post up a full set of test results when you get your kit and we'll go from there. :smile:

Yes that is the place to get the kit. If you become a supporter, you get a discount on the kit. And yes the SpeedStir is a great option.

I've signed up as a Lifetime Member. Is there anything I have to do to my account on the forum to reflect that? Also, how do I get the discount at checkout for the TF-100?

- - - Updated - - -

You can check out Lowes or Home Depot pool section for a pool vacuum. The one I got from Lowes work good enough for me. I only use it after a big wind storm to the all the **** off the floor so my little Hayward bot has a chance.

Thanks for the suggestion!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back!

How does your pool get sanitized today? Is there some form of chemical automation involved? Once you take over maintenance of the pool, you will have to jump in with both feet by testing the water and knowing or getting help on what to do to react to the numbers.

>> My pool guy takes care of everything right now and I've never done anything with maintaining a pool... As far as what I see there is the floater with chlorine tablets in it. Is that what you are asking?

I would like to see you post a full set of test numbers so we can see what you have to work with. Its not uncommon for people to inherit a pool that is not properly balanced, even though there are no outward signs of trouble. As you should know by now, this site and its knowledge base are not going to work well with most dry chlorine sanitation methods. I've used bleach and have recently converted to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG/SWCG). I've also use tri-chlor pucks which ultimately led me to this site!

>> This is when it gets "scary!" That's a lot of info I'm going to need to learn! I'm ordering my test kit today so as soon as that comes in I will post numbers.

Also, take a stab at estimating your pool volume. You will need a starting point to calculate most chemical dosage levels. Go to the bottom of the PoolMath link found at the top of the forum and you will find a calculator to estimate pool volume. Based on your photo above, it looks like you could call it an oval, an then add in maybe 500-1000 gallons for the step out area. As you gain experience, you will get a good feel your pool volume by testing the impact of many of your chemistry adjustments.

>> I'll work on getting an estimate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.