Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post to say Hi!

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

First Post to say Hi!

Just joined the forum because I want to stop paying the pool guy soon and I always like to know more about stuff.

We bought the house in December 2012. According to neighbors the previous owner had drained the pool some time ago after they let it turn green. They then apparently refilled it for the purpose of adding value to the home sale. There was a huge black algae spot on the north side of the pool. One guy said I needed to replaster to remove it and that didn't seem like a good option at the time, although I do want to replaster in the future. The pool guy that I have now told me he would be able to remove the black algae but I wouldn't be able to swim in it for 2 months, which was fine since it was winter. He did an awesome job and the pool has been crystal clear ever since.

The pool definitely needs some work. There are a few missing tiles and there's a piece of exposed rebar by the skimmer "catch." The plaster kind of looks like the moon and there are some cracks in the steps, but it seems to only lose water from evaporation/use and not from leaking.

I'm looking to get a cover, but not exactly sure how to approach the kidney bean shape. My pool equipment is virtually nonexistent; I have a leaf skimmer with a hole in it and that's about it. The pump is six months old. Through our home warranty I was able to get a pool company to look at the old pump that was leaking. LA DWP has a rebate on eco friendly pumps so I replaced the old one with a Hayward EcoStar.

Thanks for providing a place to ask questions and I look forward to getting a lot of use out of the forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Post to say Hi!

Welcome to TFP!!!

The first step to taking control is understanding ... all that information is available for free in Pool School (button at upper right)

The second step is using one of the recommended test kits so that there is no guessing required when it comes to the chemistry.

The third step is getting a nice lounge chair, an umbrella, and a cold beverage sitting by the crystal clear pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks jblizzle!

I've been skimming through the Pool School.

I did an Amazon search for K-2006 (FAS-DPD) and see many different prices. From this info does this look to be the correct kit: Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006? If there are multiple versions what is the one component I need to make sure is in there?

I have the third step down! Gazebo covers the patio, LCD mounted on the wall, projector for the yard, and a kegerator
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

That is the right kit, but I would recommend the TF-100 over the K-2006 as it comes with more of the reagents you need ... see the link in my signature for a comparison.

Plus, the owner of this forum is the seller of the TF-100 ... so if you like the forum ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for letting me know and I will definitely support the owner of the forum by purchasing it through him.

My pool guy does a great job, as far as I can tell. Would it be worth my time while I'm learning about maintaining my own pool to buy the kit now and run tests while I continue to pay him or do you recommend letting him go and moving forward myself?
    Patrick

6. Back To Top    #6

Is he paid monthly?

I would get the test kit and check the water and then take control. Likely you could be in control by the end of the month.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome! I do pay him monthly. Besides the test kit what do I need to purchase? I literally have just a leaf skimmer that has a hole in it, but works well enough to get most stuff out of the pool. Sorry if I should know that answer from another post...
    Patrick

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, the speed stir is a GREAT addition to help with testing.
    You should have a brush ... recommend the Wall Whale
    May want to get a leaf rake without a hole ... not the flat one, the one with a bag to scoop leaves off the bottom.

Is there any kind of cleaner? Suction side/pressure side/robot? You will want something to suck all the dirt up. Could start with a hose and a vacuum head to do it manually.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jason, I really appreciate your time and all the info! Is Leslie's reputable enough to get me going if I stop in with this list?
    Patrick

10. Back To Top    #10

If you are only looking for basic equipment ... probably. They have a lot of rakes, and brushes, and that sort of thing.
    Do not talk to them about chemistry though.
    And I would not get into talking about any automated cleaners either.

Of course you can find all this stuff cheaper online.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Cool, I probably will avoid them then.

Since I love my pool and want it to always be at its best I am looking for more than basics. I don't like to waste money but I certainly have no problems spending it on what I consider necessities, which I think caring for my pool is!
    Patrick

12. Back To Top    #12

It has been almost a year since my last post and I'm FINALLY ready to take over my pool!
    1. I want to support the owner of the site, which means I'll probably become a lifetime member, so is this the place to get the TF-100 kit? http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    2. Is the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer what's being referenced above and in the Options section of the tfteskits.net site?
    3. I've got my leaf skimmer that has the bag and it works great.
    4. Cleaner/vacuum: I will need to purchase something and I don't mind spending some money on something that is worth it. Recommendations?
    5. Anything else that can be thought of for taking over this project?
    Patrick

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes that is the place to get the kit. If you become a supporter, you get a discount on the kit. And yes the SpeedStir is a great option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

You can check out Lowes or Home Depot pool section for a pool vacuum. The one I got from Lowes work good enough for me. I only use it after a big wind storm to the all the **** off the floor so my little Hayward bot has a chance.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome back!

How does your pool get sanitized today? Is there some form of chemical automation involved? Once you take over maintenance of the pool, you will have to jump in with both feet by testing the water and knowing or getting help on what to do to react to the numbers.

I would like to see you post a full set of test numbers so we can see what you have to work with. Its not uncommon for people to inherit a pool that is not properly balanced, even though there are no outward signs of trouble. As you should know by now, this site and its knowledge base are not going to work well with most dry chlorine sanitation methods. I've used bleach and have recently converted to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG/SWCG). I've also use tri-chlor pucks which ultimately led me to this site!

Also, take a stab at estimating your pool volume. You will need a starting point to calculate most chemical dosage levels. Go to the bottom of the PoolMath link found at the top of the forum and you will find a calculator to estimate pool volume. Based on your photo above, it looks like you could call it an oval, an then add in maybe 500-1000 gallons for the step out area. As you gain experience, you will get a good feel your pool volume by testing the impact of many of your chemistry adjustments.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1271 View Post
    It has been almost a year since my last post and I'm FINALLY ready to take over my pool!
    1. I want to support the owner of the site, which means I'll probably become a lifetime member, so is this the place to get the TF-100 kit? http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    2. Is the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer what's being referenced above and in the Options section of the tfteskits.net site?
    3. I've got my leaf skimmer that has the bag and it works great.
    4. Cleaner/vacuum: I will need to purchase something and I don't mind spending some money on something that is worth it. Recommendations?
    5. Anything else that can be thought of for taking over this project?
    I suggest a combo brush for your older plaster.

Post up a full set of test results when you get your kit and we'll go from there.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes that is the place to get the kit. If you become a supporter, you get a discount on the kit. And yes the SpeedStir is a great option.
    I've signed up as a Lifetime Member. Is there anything I have to do to my account on the forum to reflect that? Also, how do I get the discount at checkout for the TF-100?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jmbradwell View Post
    You can check out Lowes or Home Depot pool section for a pool vacuum. The one I got from Lowes work good enough for me. I only use it after a big wind storm to the all the **** off the floor so my little Hayward bot has a chance.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DogsHouse_MyPool View Post
    Welcome back!

How does your pool get sanitized today? Is there some form of chemical automation involved? Once you take over maintenance of the pool, you will have to jump in with both feet by testing the water and knowing or getting help on what to do to react to the numbers.

>> My pool guy takes care of everything right now and I've never done anything with maintaining a pool... As far as what I see there is the floater with chlorine tablets in it. Is that what you are asking?

I would like to see you post a full set of test numbers so we can see what you have to work with. Its not uncommon for people to inherit a pool that is not properly balanced, even though there are no outward signs of trouble. As you should know by now, this site and its knowledge base are not going to work well with most dry chlorine sanitation methods. I've used bleach and have recently converted to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG/SWCG). I've also use tri-chlor pucks which ultimately led me to this site!

>> This is when it gets "scary!" That's a lot of info I'm going to need to learn! I'm ordering my test kit today so as soon as that comes in I will post numbers.

Also, take a stab at estimating your pool volume. You will need a starting point to calculate most chemical dosage levels. Go to the bottom of the PoolMath link found at the top of the forum and you will find a calculator to estimate pool volume. Based on your photo above, it looks like you could call it an oval, an then add in maybe 500-1000 gallons for the step out area. As you gain experience, you will get a good feel your pool volume by testing the impact of many of your chemistry adjustments.
    >> I'll work on getting an estimate.
    Patrick

18. Back To Top    #18

Why are all of my replies to different people ending up in one post?
    Patrick

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking on Amazon I see a wide range of vacuums. I'm willing to spend at least $300 and would go higher with something highly recommended...

This is over twice what I stated above but the reviews are incredible... is it worth it? Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet http://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-999963...acuum+inground
    Patrick

20. Back To Top    #20

Its the way the forum software works. If you post in quick succession and no one else has posted it will assume you meant to add on to your last post.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast