Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice

Spent many hours reading here today, on way home bought the test kit at Leslie's that was recommended, learned a lot already.

My test numbers are so out of whack I need some advice on where to start:

fc - 2
    tc - 3
    so that makes cc = 1
    cya - 48
    ph 8.0
    calcium 600 ppm

I have a deep well for water, guess that is why the calcium is so high. I am guessing throw a gallon of acid in to try and get the PH right and go from there?
    25,000 gallons, Jandy DE Filter, Model DEV60, flow rate 150 gpm, In Ground Plaster
    Salt Water Generator (and a broken Ultrapure ozone thing if it matters)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Advice

Welcome to TFP!!!

Now for some possible bad news ... which kit did you buy? The K-2005 (DPD) test is what Leslies usually carries and is NOT the kit we recommend which is the K-2006 (FAS-DPD) kit. Based on the results you posted, I think you may be another victim of the pool store telling you it is the same thing.

Luckily you can just add the FAS-DPD test and then have the equivalent of the K-2006: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Use poolcalculator.com to tell you how much acid is needed to lower the pH into the 7s.
    Note you need to input your current TA for it to be accurate for the amount of acid needed (you did not report TA).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, yes, that was the most expensive one they had, so its what I got. I will order the other next week, my wife already thinks I am nuts taking this on.....

fc - 2
    tc - 3
    so that makes cc = 1
    cya - 48
    ph 8.0
    calcium 600 ppm
    My TA is 100
    25,000 gallons, Jandy DE Filter, Model DEV60, flow rate 150 gpm, In Ground Plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem is without the FAS-DPD test you can not measure FC levels above 5.0 and can't the the .5 or .2 ppm resolution needed to do an over night chlorine loss test.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Nuts for taking what on? Knowing how to properly care for your pool?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

No, for spending $70 on the kit....once the pool is clear it will be all good.....going to add the acid tonight and go from there.

I will see if Leslie's has the other chemicals in the morning.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gmcnitt
    They won't ... unless you find a commercial supply house.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, I will just order it. Can you tell me anything based on the test results I do have, other than getting the ph down of course.

The calcium worries me, as my rocks have calcium build up and the pool is only 4 years old.

9. Back To Top    #9

Some build up is nearly inevitable just due to evaporation, but calcium scaling can be reduced by keeping the pH in the low to mid 7s even at your CH.

Generally, if you have a CC > 0.5ppm that means you should go through the SLAM process to eliminate what is in the water. BUT, I am not sure how well you can truely differentiate the colors in the DPD test to see a 1ppm difference. And if SLAMing is required, you need the FAS-DPD test to do it correctly.

So, I would suggest getting that and then seeing where you are at. Although, given a CYA of 50ppm (how did you arrive at 48???), the minimum you should let the FC get is 4ppm ... and I would even shoot for around 10ppm initially to head off the cause of the higher CC. See Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Understood, thanks. I will get the test chemicals and get back to you after that, thanks a bunch. I estimated it at 48, it wasn't quite to the 50 line.

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh wait, just realized you have a SWG, so keeping the FC above around 3ppm should be fine with a CYA of 50ppm. I still might suggest to raise the FC up to 10ppm once with bleach and let it drift down slowly with the SWG running.

Then when you get the FAS-DPD check the FC and CC so see if you need to SLAM. If you don't (or after you finish), then you may want to raise the CYA up higher for the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, here we go, first off your FC is a little too low for your CYA level see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock in pool school, pH needs to be reduced with acid, and I would suggest checking the CH of your fill water, post that and get back with us. You may need to follow the SLAM process in pool school if your CC is really 1.0 (hard to tell until you get or do until you get the FAS-DPD test kit), note it has been posted on here in the past that Leslies commerical pool supply has the FAS-DPD test and I think it has been mentioned there is one in Carrolton or at least around that part of the metroplex
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

13. Back To Top    #13

14. Back To Top    #14

I would get the FAS-DPD single item kit from Dave at TF-Test kits, it cost a little more, but you do get a 2 OZ bottle of R-871 instead of the .75 OZ in the Taylor K1515A kit, plus it helps support this site and you know it is fresh and has not been sitting on a warehouse shelf for years.
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Ike

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by gmcnitt
    No, for spending $70 on the kit....once the pool is clear it will be all good.....going to add the acid tonight and go from there.

If your water is not clear, you should SLAM. As stated previously, you'll need the FAS-DPD test to do this accurately. I agree with the previous recommendation to go ahead and bring your chlorine level up to around 10 ppm now. Use liquid chlorine to do this; don't try to do it with the SWG.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, just ordered the TF-100 kit, should have it in a few days, 100% agree in supporting the community! I brought the Leslie's one back and asked for liquid chlorine, the guy looked at me like I was nuts. I got my refund and left......My pool is actually pretty clear, but I am getting green algae spots on the sitting and beach areas. It can probably wait for the kit to arrive, currently running the SWG at 75% 4 hours a day.