Hayward Eco Star Questions

Jul 11, 2013
Puerto Rico
Hi!
I'm starting the installation process of a new Eco Star pump connected to the Hayward Aqua Plus unit.
1) Is it possible, in case I the Aqua Plus fails, to run the Eco Star separately with her own controls?
2) I'm replacing a 1.5hp Super Pump on 1.5 inch piping and the Eco Star has 2 inch connections. Please share any good or bad experiences & solutions when running a 2 inch, up to 3 hp pump where a 1.5 inch, 1.5 hp pump was.

I'll document the whole installation process (pics & info) and post on the forum starting Monday.

Thanks in advance!

J

1 - Certainly
2 - Your new pump is WAY bigger than your old one and with only 1.5" lines (how many suction lines) you will not want to run it near maximum RPM. I would suggest using 2" on the pad where ever you are making changes and just use a reduced to 1.5" when needed.

Post up a picture of the current pad and we can offer ideas. Adding unions around the pump can often help deal with leaks or working on the pump if needed.

Thanks!
I was wondering that! (Using 2 inch at the pump pad and then 1.5 inch reducers when going back in ground and from ground).
I asked Hayward about using a 3hp with the DE3620 filter where 1.5hp was and they said ok because of new pump being VSP.
What is the 1.5hp Super Pump speed?

Not sure what you are asking?
All single speed pumps and 2-speed on high run at 3450rpm ... low speed is 1725rpm
BUT
the wet ends are designed differently. At the same RPM, the Ecostar will more WAY more water than the SuperPump due to the design, impeller, and motor size.

It is "OK" to use the EcoStar because you can limit the max RPM to no be too much for the filter and the plumbing.

Is the automation setup? I do not see any actuators for valves to switch to/from pool and spa modes.

I would suggest using true pool valves (like Neverlube or equivalent) instead of the ball valves.
You may have to cut the vertical pipes coming out of the floor in order to line up with the height of the EcoStar (not sure if it is different from what you have now). Of course then you can go to 2" pipe ;)

I want to put in all new pipes & valves on the pad. The extra space will be good for the SWG cell, flow meter, etc. so going to 2 inch on the pad is no problem.
I'm now concerned about the max speed.
This picture will be the "before" picture.
At the moment, I plan on just put in modern valves but no automation to them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no idea.

The worst that could possibly happen is crushing your filter grids, BUT, you have a pressure gauge on the filter that will help you prevent that. Stay at a reasonable pressure and you should be fine.

What about making a 2” manifold for the intake being feed by all the 1 ½ intakes placing upgraded valves on the 1 ½ pipes . And using 2 “ for the pad plumbing. Make a 2” return manifold run all the returns off that. Placing upgraded valves on the return lines not on the manifolds.

Ok, I did the sizing and the max speed would be at 2000rpm.
Since the EcoStar comes preset at 3450rpm it is probably better to install the pemp first (no AquaPlus), set max speed and then install the AquaPlus and connect the pump to it.

Suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.