USPS Lost My Refills!!!

Beens

TFP Expert
Jul 22, 2013
Virginia Beach, Va
Help!

I ordered refills for my tf-100 kit. Specifically the ever important R-0870 Powder and R-0871 Drops for my chlorine test.

And the USPS lost my package!! :grrrr:

I have been SLAMming since sunday and I am almost out of powder and pretty low on drops.

Does anyone know if Leslie's ever carries these refills? I am pretty annoyed that I already had to buy them and pay to ship them and "they'll call me if they find the package". :blah:

What's the point of the tracking number anyway? It says undeliverable which means someone had it yesterday yet they have no idea what happened to it after that.

Argh! I was planning one more OCLT tonight and then most likely let my FC drop back down. I am hoping against hope that I have enough powder for the test tonight and in the AM.

So... anyone been successful at finding these refills locally?

Of course it's 5pm now and all the stupid pool stores seem to close pretty early... :-\

USPS you let me down! :cry:

Argh. I just called a bunch of stores and none of them had it. The last one I called said her distributor had it and she could have it tomorrow because they have to go and pick up some other stuff from them. (maybe that's the commercial supply you're talking about)

2 problems

#1 The numbers were R-0871C and R-0870I and she didn't know if the "C" and "I" meant they were different.
#2 The Drops would cost around $15 and the Powder around $10. Around $25 total and my total with shipping from TF Test Kits was only 17.58!

This is frustrating!

If they can go over and buy it, there may be a distributor you could get it from.

I think the letters just speak toward the amount of reagent. For example, I think C is usually used by Taylor for 2 oz.

About the 5ml sample, I have only heard about this recently. I saw someone (maybe it was you) mention it in another thread.

Can I just always do that? If yes, why don't we all just do that? Why the 10ml which "wastes" the supplies? My husband suggests it's for accuracy? Larger sample = more accurate. Is that it? And in that case is the 5ml going to be accurate enough for my OCLT?

*sigh*

I didn't call, I emailed. Got a reply just now that if I reorder tonight they'll get it out tomorrow. I might just order it and pay for UPS this time and I'd most likely get it by Tuesday. The problem is if I have to keep slamming I don't know if I can stretch that long. Off to my other thread to see what the consensus is on my SLAM....

Yes. large sample = more accuracy.
5ml each drop is 1ppm (good for the middle of the SLAM at high FC levels when accuracy not important)
10ml each drop is 0.5ppm (this is needed for OCLT and checking CC)
25ml each drop is 0.2ppm (this accuracy is not usually needed)

I wish I had known about the 5ml earlier this week. I would not be running out now and so desperate!

I decided to call the pool store back and leave a message. The girl was really helpful and said I could call after hours and leave a message and they'd pick up the refills from their supplier tomorrow.

Hopefully I can scrape enough powder out to get my OCLT done tonight/tomorrow. Looks like I need the 10 ml/2 flat scoops for that one.

This day was going so well until I opened the mailbox expectantly and only got bills. :(
Now I'm all stressed out!
Time to go shopping I guess....

What is your CYA and target shock level? In your situation you may be able to use the OTO FC test to get "not accurate at all, but better than nothing".

Still won't help with your OCLT and CC, but it will help you MAINTAIN

Other experts can correct me if I'm off base. I only mention this kind of testing via OTO given the situation.

extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Well I decided to skip the OCLT for tonight and just SLAM for one more day. I have enough powder for 2 more 10ml 2 scoop tests but since I already raised it to my target level this afternoon I figured I'd just leave it at that and do my normal test tomorrow.

I should have refills from that store tomorrow... as long as they follow through on what they said today on the phone. I'm pretty much done with my SLAM just waiting for advice on my other thread on the Algae board (Thread is" Question about adding D.E. to sand filter)

FYI - cya 40, shock level 16, raise to 20 to not go under 16. All the info and pics are on the other thread. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two scoops isn't required for your FC levels. One scoop should be enough as long as you have some/a few undissolved crystals after a good 5-10 second shake. I never need more than one scoop unless I'm testing over 20 FC, and even then one heaping scoop is enough. Read the extended test instructions sticky.

I haven't used 2 scoops for quite a while, once I learned it is still a valid test as long as you still have a couple of crystals in the sample. With 2 scoops you should be seeing a whole lot of undissolved on the bottom.

Well it says 2 level scoops or 1 heaped so I chose the 2 level. I'm a perfectionist and it's easier to exactly measure 2 level than 1 random heap... (I hate recipes that call for a pinch of something!)

Without actually measuring to compare it's hard to prove but my 2 level scoops could very well be the same measurable amount as your 1 heaping scoop. That's how I read it anyway... It also says you can use too little but you can't use too much (except that it's wasteful)

Does anyone know how it would affect the results if you use too little powder? Meaning... is there some way I can easily tell that I am using too little or will I just be getting inaccurate results and not know it?

Best way is to make sure you have even a couple of crystals of undissolved in the bottom of your stirred sample.

If after stirring, you have no excess, just add a few grains and stir again. On the 10 ml sample, I find that just a tiny bit above a level scoop gives me that "few grains" at the bottom.

I ran into a similar problem, only I am completely out of the R-0871. Got more on order but can't do any testing whatsoever, except with OTO. So I am flying my SLAM completely blind, aside from having one day of experience adding chlorine to maintain it and some test strips that scale up to 10ppm. With my CYA at 50, I need 20 or better. Cutting down from 10ml to 5ml sample size did actually occur to me, but I didn't do it because there is no line on the tube and I didn't think I would run out as quickly as I did.

This (along with the CYA reagents) is why we recommend the TF-100 over the K-2006 ... but no one ever seems to believe us :D

Likely with the refills you are approaching if not surpassing the cost differential between the 2 kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.