Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build in Fort Worth (timeline with pics of build)

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in Fort Worth (timeline with pics of build)

I just finished with our pool build in Fort Worth. I thought I'd share the progress with ya'll. They worked mostly 6 days / week and it's been about 4 weeks.

Pool size = 16'x30' ... 14,000 gallons
    Interior Surface = QuartzBrite

********************** (disclosure added Oct 21, 2013)
    I'd like to add this to my own post here. I built with Paul Miller Custom Pools in Keller, TX. I have been very disappointed in this builder. He sure built me a pretty pool and our family loves it but the minute he collected our last check he has been extraordinarily difficult to work with. We've had construction / workmanship problems and he was happy to have those looked at while we still owed money but he's really drug his feet lately.

ie: the pool didn't hold water when it was first filled, an LED light went out immediately, a fountain was leaky, we had huge trouble with double and triple billing, etc - those were fixed relatively quickly with minimal effort. But other things he tried to completely skip out on like rebuilding our fence with steel posts or repairing the irrigation in our neighbors yard that he broke (sore spot because I paid $1,000 for all irrigation repairs - he knew he had to regrade and reinstall their fence but refused to fix 3 sprinklers and 2 pipes his crew broke).

After he cashed the last check he took 6 weeks to resolve a problem with our fence. It actually only got resolved after I filed a complain with the BBB. He never replaced a timer that his electricians swapped out. He didn't install the volleyball sleeves at all (gave me a reason why something changed and we didn't qualify for a volleyball net in our 5' deep pool). He hasn't even looked at a drainage issue where water stands around my shed and fence because they accidentally removed a French drain (that he was aware of prior to starting construction). You can see it pulled out in the excavation pics. One of our gutter downspouts never got replaced.

Where he once was very easy to get ahold of and very quick to reply to any email... he now takes weeks and skirts around my questions or warranty claims. One time he actually replied to my email stating that he was denying all current and future warranty claims because he thought a bill hadn't been paid. He was wrong (double billing) but its been months and I have yet to get anything in writing back stating that he'll reinstate the warranties and acknowledge that everything has been paid for 100%. He still does some repairs but only after extraordinary measures have been taken.

The pool is nice but hopefully someone else searching for information on this builder will use this and proceed with caution. We do love the pool but we've had to go to some pretty extreme means to get service.

Day 1 - Permits arrive, yard sign & review painting on yard (we increased size)

Day 2 - Excavation

Day 3 & 4 - Steel (grounding)

Day 5 & 6 - Plumbing

Day 7 - Equipment set

New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in Fort Worth

Day 8 - Gunnite

Day 9 - Electric

Day 10 - Tile

Day 11-14 - Stonework

New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

3. Back To Top    #3

Day 15 - Deck frame & steel

Day 16 - Deck pour

Day 17 - Cleanup of plumbing and seal fixtures

Day 18 - Plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

Day 19 - Acid Wash & Fill

Day 19.5 - Moved the shed back closer to the fence

Day 20 - Site cleanup & final grade

5. Back To Top    #5

Day 21 - Irrigation

Day 22 - Sod

Day 23 - New fence

Day 24 - Clean & Stain old fence

6. Back To Top    #6

Day 25 - Pool fence installation.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: New build in Fort Worth (timeline with pics of build)

Wow! Looks great and talk about fast! Beautiful pool!
    34x17 Freeform Gunite IGP and spa (approx 17k gal)
    Hayward 2HP/2SP TriStar Filter Pump & Tristar Booster
    ProLogic PS-8 and AquaPod
    400k Heater
    CLI Sunstone Quartz Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

*mostly* completed project:

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice!

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice pool, I like the design and the blue. Great choice

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks great !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks awesome! Enjoy!

13. Back To Top    #13

Liquidator Installation

No drilling needed which is my kind of install. I hooked up the "IN" side to the existing chlorinator. There was an extra plug already on the top of the chlorinator so I was able to use one of the 3/8" adapters they gave me on it. That means that if I need to bump my CYA or want to use the chlorinator then all I have to do is add a puck or two. No loss of function.

The "OUT" is attached to the plug on the bottom of the pump. Again, I just replaced the old plug with the new adapter they gave me.

Provided the seals are all good its just as easy as running the tube through the correct side of the LQ and turning on the pump. Wait for water to fill the LQ and add bleach.

Sorry for less-than-perfect pics.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow! Jealous!!! Looks great!
    - Vanessa
    Almost done! 15x30 IG 3ft-8ft deep | SWG | Spa w/ 400K Natural Gas heater | Blue Granite Pebble sheen | JEP 1.5 VS pump | DE Filter | White/Tan/Charcoal Brick Pavers | Bronze Screen | Solar Panels

15. Back To Top    #15

I didn't feel it fair to report that we had this terrific experience when we did have growing pains. Our builder has been less-than-eager to help us when problems arrived during the build process.

A nice dual, digital timer was delivered but the electrians swapped it out for this dial-type timer. Works fine but I'm pretty sure we paid for a much nicer model.

They broke a french drain and water stands behind the pool by our shed. It killed this tree and stands by our fence too.

We were losing just over 2 inches of water in the pool each NIGHT at first. I was thankful this was fixed within a couple weeks.

This fountain leaked. Its been repaired twice.

This fence / gate broke almost immediately after they installed it. The gate actually swung to the wrong side of the fence and jammed. It took 5 1/2 weeks for him to call the fence company. They came out and fixed it two days later.

I don't have pictures of the problems we've had with the lights or gutters. There's nothing to show on the missing volleyball sleeves or irrigation problems.

16. Back To Top    #16

Beautiful pool - sorry to hear about all the issues!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

17. Back To Top    #17

Hi. We are looking at same builder but your experience is giving me second thoughts. How's the pool doing since your last update? Have you had any problems with SWG? Thanks for any info/advice you can give me, this is our first pool. Eric

18. Back To Top    #18

- ##,,

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

19. Back To Top    #19

That's too bad about the problems that came up. I absolutely love the color of your pool, that deep deep blue is so beautiful. I assume only a colored plaster can get such a color.