where to go from here?

Aug 16, 2013
hello everyone. I live in Phoenix AZ and Have a salt water pool. I just tested my water with the Taylor FAS-dpd kit and these are my results

Salt at a 4300 ( machine states 4000-4500)
PH 7.2
FREE Chlorine 4.5
Combined Chlorine .5
Total ALK 70
Calcium Hardness 650 ( high I know but water here in AZ is very hard)
Cyanuric Acid 90
phosphates 0

I ordered my own testing kit due to pool stores giving very drastic different results. :hammer: Now I'm lost. I was wondering if any of you knew of a accurate program that I could enter these numbers into and it tell me what to add to pool. any and all help would be appreciated. :party: Thx again - Rob

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can plug your numbers into the Pool calculator to see if anything needs adjusting. It is very simple to use, just enter your current results in the "now" column and the desired numbers in the target column. In the yellow box at the bottom of the pool calculator you set up they type of pool and method of chlorination. Size of the pool goes at the top. There are suggested levels for each test value block.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would suggest you spend a little time reading in Pool School so you have some understanding of the chemistry and will know WHAT needs to be adjusted.

If you just plug numbers into the calculator with no understanding, you may end up changing things that are not needed.

Looking at your results ... besides the high CH, the only thing out of range (see Pool School) is your CYA is a bit on the high side. But as long as the pool is clear and you keep the FC in range (personally I would keep it above 5ppm) you should be fine.

I would suggest you spend a little time reading in Pool School so you have some understanding of the chemistry and will know WHAT needs to be adjusted.
A giant shout of agreement with jblizzle's post. Calculators can do math.....nothing else.....they cannot think or understand how to manage your pool.

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters.