Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where to go from here?

1. Back To Top    #1

where to go from here?

hello everyone. I live in Phoenix AZ and Have a salt water pool. I just tested my water with the Taylor FAS-dpd kit and these are my results

Salt at a 4300 ( machine states 4000-4500)
    PH 7.2
    FREE Chlorine 4.5
    Combined Chlorine .5
    Total ALK 70
    Calcium Hardness 650 ( high I know but water here in AZ is very hard)
    Cyanuric Acid 90
    phosphates 0

I ordered my own testing kit due to pool stores giving very drastic different results. Now I'm lost. I was wondering if any of you knew of a accurate program that I could enter these numbers into and it tell me what to add to pool. any and all help would be appreciated. Thx again - Rob

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: where to go from here?

Welcome! How about the pool calculator here in pool school. We knew you were coming!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can plug your numbers into the Pool calculator to see if anything needs adjusting. It is very simple to use, just enter your current results in the "now" column and the desired numbers in the target column. In the yellow box at the bottom of the pool calculator you set up they type of pool and method of chlorination. Size of the pool goes at the top. There are suggested levels for each test value block.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would suggest you spend a little time reading in Pool School so you have some understanding of the chemistry and will know WHAT needs to be adjusted.

If you just plug numbers into the calculator with no understanding, you may end up changing things that are not needed.

Looking at your results ... besides the high CH, the only thing out of range (see Pool School) is your CYA is a bit on the high side. But as long as the pool is clear and you keep the FC in range (personally I would keep it above 5ppm) you should be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

If you use pool calculator don't forget to set the suggested goals for trouble free pool, SWG and what ever type of bottom your pool has.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I would suggest you spend a little time reading in Pool School so you have some understanding of the chemistry and will know WHAT needs to be adjusted.
    A giant shout of agreement with jblizzle's post. Calculators can do math.....nothing else.....they cannot think or understand how to manage your pool.

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thankyou for the helpful info guys. I will in roll in school

8. Back To Top    #8
    DFW, Texas

The previous posts have you covered. But I will extend a warm welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.