Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal amount of bleach daily?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal amount of bleach daily?

Split by moderator from HERE since it turned into a thread hijack. jblizzle

I am presently adding 6 quarts a day to keep my fc where it needs to be. Its not cheap bu it sure is easy!
    23K, vinyl, above ground, 2hp-2 speed, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding bleach daily?

Quote Originally Posted by tonishu
    I am presently adding 6 quarts a day to keep my fc where it needs to be. Its not cheap bu it sure is easy!
    6qts seems a little high. Have you run an OCLT lately?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, 6 quarts of 6% bleach in 23,000 gallons is 4 ppm FC so per day that's on the high side. You should post a full set of test results. Your CYA level might be too low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

yes it is high, I live in the the deep south, lots of rain here lately, we had over 5 inches on Wenesday, it is really doing a job on the cya. When I tested it yesterday it was less than 30. Last month I had it at around 50-60. I need to bring the cya up, but don't want to waste it, we are expecting a lot more rain this weekend. Any ideas? What level do you guys recommend that I get it up to and maintain?

5. Back To Top    #5

If your CYA has dipped from 50-60 down to near 30, you will see a much higher consumption of LC (liquid chlorine). When i was at less than 30CYA, I was using 40-60 oz per day, now I am in the 40-50 CYA range and LC is down to about 20 oz/day.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

That is what I figured, I will be making a stop at the home depot this evening for some and will be working on getting it back up. Just wish the rain would stop!