Balancing chemicals after SLAM process

I just finished slamming my pool yesterday. My chemicals need to be adjusted but I don't know how long I should wait to do it. As of this morning my numbers are:

FC - 15.5
CC- 0
CYA - 60
ALK - 130
PH - 7.4
CH - 170

I know my FC will continue to drop and I will need to maintain it at 3 - 5 ppm.
My CYA needs to come up to between 70 - 80.
I need to get my alkalinity down to 60 - 80.
My PH needs to come up to 7.5 - 7.6.

How fast should I bring my alkalinity down? I know I need to add acid and than aerate to bring my PH back up. The pool calculator does calculate how much acid to add it just says to bring the PH down to 7.0. Should I bring my CYA up at the same time or only do one thing at a time?

My SWG is currently off right now due to some problems we're having with it. We think it's causing our liner to stain, but that is an issue for another day. I want to balance my chemicals first to rule out an imbalance as the cause of my problems with my SWG.

Welcome to TFP!
There is nothing urgently wrong with your numbers. You're right that CYA should be a little higher with an SWG, but if you aren't using it then I'd leave it for now. Alkalinity is fine as long as the pH isn't rising quickly...as you add acid to keep pH in line, alkalinity will gradually decrease. I'm not sure how your SWG could cause staining, can you elaborate on what you're seeing?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, the pH test is not accurate when the FC > 10ppm. So you will need to wait a little while for the FC to drop before you should start to adjust the pH and TA. In reality, there is not hurry to actively lower the TA ... it will slowly come down as you maintain the pH in range.

The SWG will not cause any staining. So, that will require more information from you to troubleshoot that.

But, if you are not going to be using the SWG, then you need to use the bleach table to determine your FC level ... and then there is not point in raising the CYA either. For a CYA of 60ppm, you should maintain your FC above 5ppm at all times until you put the SWG back into service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.