Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test for Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Test for Borates

Does anyone know of a test for Borates other that test strips? Based on recommendation I saw here, it seemed the best choice was the Lamotte test strips, which is what I am using. However, I have a very difficult time distinguishing the difference between 30-50-80 ppm. I can see the difference on the compare strip on the side of the bottle, but my test strip never seems to match one of the colors exactly and I can't really tell whether I am at 30ppm, 80pppm or somewhere in between. I am not color blind, but the various shades of pink it is supposed to be are very difficult for me to see differences.
    Hx2 Trainer 14 Swim Spa - 1425 gallons
    Cartridge filter, fiberglass
    Using TF100 test kit
    Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test for Borates

Please disregard. I searched this earlier, but did not see a reference to anything but test strips, but searched again and saw a post that discussed some reagents that would work with other Taylor reagents to do a borate test.
    I guess another question I have is whether I should worry too much about the exact level. I have a swim spa and drain and refill it a couple of times a year. At refill time, if I just add the correct amount of borates (I am using boric acid) based on the pool calculator to get it to 50ppm, is that sufficient? I don't lose very much water between drain/refills so don't think I lose much of the borate.
    Hx2 Trainer 14 Swim Spa - 1425 gallons
    Cartridge filter, fiberglass
    Using TF100 test kit
    Atlanta, GA

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I also have a difficult time differentiating between the colors. Since the level of borates isn't critical, I just use the Pool Calculator to determine the correct amount to bring the level at/or near 50 ppm. If its 40 or 60, it really wouldn't make much difference.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Take a picture of the test strip and post it and let us all guess with you!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing