Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Once I get CYA to 30-50 ppm...

1. Back To Top    #1

Once I get CYA to 30-50 ppm...

will it stay at that level if I use the BBB method?

From what I'm reading I gather that using pool store chemicals it will rise consistently...but strictly by following the BBB method it won't.

Is this correct?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Once I get CYA to 30-50 ppm...

Short answer yes, there are 3 things that will raise your CYA levels, Dichlor (often sold as powdered shock, but not all powdered shock products are Dichlor), Trichlor (usually found as pucks or sticks, but can also be flakes or powder), and straight CYA stabilizer either dry or rarely liquid.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

I would add that if you have a lot of people in the pool playing and have splash out or just evaporation to the extent that you have to add replacement water, then CYA I would think would go down a little since the water you are adding would not have any CYA. Isn't that right?

4. Back To Top    #4

Splash out removes water and CYA from the pool, however evaporation does not remove CYA it just concentrates it in the remaining water
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Splash out removes water and CYA from the pool, however evaporation does not remove CYA it just concentrates it in the remaining water
    My bad you are right. I should have known that. I used to have a salt water aquarium and evaporation does not take out salt. So the same theory would apply to CYA.