Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MA boxes

1. Back To Top    #1

MA boxes

I stopped by the orange box store tonight to get a case of MA. They stock MA and pool MA. The regular is 20 baume 32.5% and the pool is 14.5%. The regular is $11.98 for two gallons as opposed to $10.98 for pool strength, same amount.

The challenge I has was the pallet on the regular looked torn up and there were several loose bottles and boxes that were torn. I looked closer and the cardboard was brittle, faded and looked as it had gotten wet then dried. I dug down into the pallet and found a box that was complete and not overly damaged. As I was doing this, anther customer mentioned he had bought some and it looked like his box had disintegrated at home. Has anyone seen this before?

I bought some at another store. It was kemTek Contractor strength that is labelled as 29%, no baume listing that I saw.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MA boxes

The ones at the big box store were probably stored outside where the weather could get to them. If they get hot enough they will vent some vapor through the caps, and rain helps weaken the boxes.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    The ones at the big box store were probably stored outside where the weather could get to them. If they get hot enough they will vent some vapor through the caps, and rain helps weaken the boxes.

I was thinking vapor too with the described condition of the boxes.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not likely rain. It hasn't rained since May or June. Possibly it got wet as its in the garden section. I did wonder if venting, leaking or bursting was involved and the would that cause the cardboard to become brittle. It has been hot, 107 or more in the past month.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The same thing happened at my HD. I'm assuming you are referring to the brown ones in your other post. It is the vapors breaking down the box. I did the same thing and dug into the center for a better box. Since they are stored outdoors in the garden center, the outer boxes are subjected to greater temp swings...hence the off-gassing.

The problem is no one will want to buy the ugly ones. They'll buy the cheaper (lower concentration) pretty ones. Too bad I don't need that much MA..I would see if they would discount it.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

As opposed to fighting over what could be lower strength MA, I just went to another store... but it did buy 29%, in a new, pretty clean box for the same price. The stock looked brand new and I think I took the first box ox of what appeared to be a new pallet. This store also stores the boxes outside but in a much more protected location.

Does MA lose strength like LC?
    -- Guy --

7. Back To Top    #7

I am pretty sure the MA does not lose strength ... at least not to the same level as the chlorine does.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's just the vented caps working. I keep mine outside and the boxes always disintegrate.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

OK... so MA off-gassing causes cardboard to disintegrate. I had not noticed this before.

I just read you can dissolve paper with MA and water.
    -- Guy --