MA boxes

techguy

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
I stopped by the orange box store tonight to get a case of MA. They stock MA and pool MA. The regular is 20 baume 32.5% and the pool is 14.5%. The regular is $11.98 for two gallons as opposed to $10.98 for pool strength, same amount.

The challenge I has was the pallet on the regular looked torn up and there were several loose bottles and boxes that were torn. I looked closer and the cardboard was brittle, faded and looked as it had gotten wet then dried. I dug down into the pallet and found a box that was complete and not overly damaged. As I was doing this, anther customer mentioned he had bought some and it looked like his box had disintegrated at home. Has anyone seen this before?

I bought some at another store. It was kemTek Contractor strength that is labelled as 29%, no baume listing that I saw.

The ones at the big box store were probably stored outside where the weather could get to them. If they get hot enough they will vent some vapor through the caps, and rain helps weaken the boxes.

zea3 said:
The ones at the big box store were probably stored outside where the weather could get to them. If they get hot enough they will vent some vapor through the caps, and rain helps weaken the boxes.

I was thinking vapor too with the described condition of the boxes.

It's not likely rain. It hasn't rained since May or June. Possibly it got wet as its in the garden section. I did wonder if venting, leaking or bursting was involved and the would that cause the cardboard to become brittle. It has been hot, 107 or more in the past month.

The same thing happened at my HD. I'm assuming you are referring to the brown ones in your other post. It is the vapors breaking down the box. I did the same thing and dug into the center for a better box. Since they are stored outdoors in the garden center, the outer boxes are subjected to greater temp swings...hence the off-gassing.

The problem is no one will want to buy the ugly ones. They'll buy the cheaper (lower concentration) pretty ones. :hammer: Too bad I don't need that much MA..I would see if they would discount it.

As opposed to fighting over what could be lower strength MA, I just went to another store... but it did buy 29%, in a new, pretty clean box for the same price. The stock looked brand new and I think I took the first box ox of what appeared to be a new pallet. This store also stores the boxes outside but in a much more protected location.

Does MA lose strength like LC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.