New pool design need help

Jun 26, 2013
This is a quick design of our pool that we're planning on putting in.

I could really use some expert help in the design. Specifically any suggestions for the dimensions, depths.

Thanks in advance.

20fvt7c.jpg

Yep, you will use it how you build it. Simple I know, but you really have to think of what you'll want to do most before you dig. Dive? Play ball games? Float and wade around with friends? Lots of smaller kids using it a lot? All that should be considered.

Welcome to the Forum BTW. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks very much for the replies, I really do appreciate it. This is actually my second post. The first post was more for layout and look. I got some really good feedback.

pool-desgin-need-expert-advice-please-t64362.html

I'm now at the point where I have to decide the dimensions, depth etc. I have four boys 19, 15 and twin 11 (19 & 15 are lifeguards, twins are strong swimmers on their way to lifeguard). They LOVE the water. So it's predominantly going to be used for them and their friends as well as for us to entertain. As you can see from the first post the pool doesn't take up the whole backyard. We did that on purpose so that we could still enjoy the backyard and to entertain our friends. I want the pool to be as multi-purpose as possible. I want the kids to be able to jump-in (not dive, I realize it may not be big enough) as well as play water basketball or for me to just float on one of those pool chairs. My kids and I are tall so I need the 8ft depth. I'm not sure if I'm asking too much but I really want to maximize the use.

The pool will be a salt water vinyl pool. I live in the North Toronto area (not sure if that info helps).

On your design, I too would move the steps over by the spa as that area by the current step location will turn into a bottle neck for passing traffic with the house wall so close. Also I think we were a bit side tracked on the PVC debate and never really made it into pool layout design, so I will also say to eliminate the 6 ft zone and go with a transitional slope, or consider a staged shallow end with a 3 and 4 ft zone, a 6 ft zone and an 8 ft zone are not going to be much different unless you stand over 7 feet tall.

Ike

What do your family want out of the pool? Who will use it the most? For what primary purpose will it be used - swimming, floating around with friends, etc? Its possible that what suits an energetic quartet of kids might not be quite ideal for the older generation. There's always a compromise somewhere but the time will come when the kids have grown and flown...

One thing I regret not thinking about more is the location and layout of my pool equipment (pumps, filter, etc). These things make some noise, so keep them away from places where you hope to enjoy peace and queit if possible. Also, make sure you can easily access all the equipment for when it comes time to maintain it.

That's another issue. I have a choice of putting my pool equipment about 50-60 ft away on one side of the house which is where everyone will walk by from the front to get the back OR I can put it on the other side of the house which will be 70-80 ft away (on the side that won't be used much).

I'd like to put it on the side that won't be used much but the PB will be using a combination of flex and rigid plumbing. I'm just afraid of possible problems by having longer plumbing.

Isaac-1 said:
On your design, I too would move the steps over by the spa as that area by the current step location will turn into a bottle neck for passing traffic with the house wall so close. Also I think we were a bit side tracked on the PVC debate and never really made it into pool layout design, so I will also say to eliminate the 6 ft zone and go with a transitional slope, or consider a staged shallow end with a 3 and 4 ft zone, a 6 ft zone and an 8 ft zone are not going to be much different unless you stand over 7 feet tall.

Ike

Isaac, if you look at the top design (this thread) you see that the stairs are different then from my drawing of before....do you still think it will get to congested?

As for the 6ft zone, I've already decided to get rid of it. Shallow 3'6" deep end 8'. What do you mean by a staged shallow end?

Do you think 11ft width at the deep end is wide enough? I know it can be wider but if you look at my other thread, I would like to be able to put recliners in that area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pilotspal said:
What do your family want out of the pool? Who will use it the most? For what primary purpose will it be used - swimming, floating around with friends, etc? Its possible that what suits an energetic quartet of kids might not be quite ideal for the older generation. There's always a compromise somewhere but the time will come when the kids have grown and flown...

It's predominantly going to be used for the boys to play around in with their friends as well as for us to entertain or lounge around.

Isaac-1 said:
Looks good overall, I might suggest going for 8.5 for the deep end, and making sure that 3'6" shallow end is to the water line and not depth of pool.

Ike

How can they make it 8.5 depth? Isn't my pool length too short for that depth? Can they make it that deep? and isn't .5" negligible?

As for the 3'6" I get it...okay I'll make sure he does that.

Any comments on this:

That's another issue. I have a choice of putting my pool equipment about 50-60 ft away on one side of the house which is where everyone will walk by from the front to get the back OR I can put it on the other side of the house which will be 70-80 ft away (on the side that won't be used much).

I'd like to put it on the side that won't be used much but the PB will be using a combination of flex and rigid plumbing. I'm just afraid of possible problems by having longer plumbing.

We have always been told that you must have at least a 16' x 32' pool to get to 8 or 8.5' in depth. This is in the US according to our suppliers. Take that information for what it cost. We have only been in the construction side of pools for 30 plus years.

swimcmp said:
We have always been told that you must have at least a 16' x 32' pool to get to 8 or 8.5' in depth. This is in the US according to our suppliers. Take that information for what it cost. We have only been in the construction side of pools for 30 plus years.

Because it exceeds the 1:3 slope rule correct? That's what I have learned in my research. I'm not in the pool industry, but it seems this is the general rule for slope.

If it is a vinyl lined pool you may not find a manufacturer to build the liner as designed. We have to submit blueprints to the liner co for technical approval. If they don't approve it we have to redesign the pool to meet specification. Again we are located in the US this may not apply to where you are. The government to protect us from ourselves have legislated the safety factor into swimming pools. This is also why a commercial pool has to have multiple main drains or svrs. They are trying to idiot proof the world.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.