Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Reel

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Reel

Hi guys!

I have learned so very much from the incredibly intelligent people here, I thought I would share our version of a project I first found on this site. I read several posts on above ground pool covers, but I was still having trouble getting my head around it. So I showed my husband and we decided to just jump in! We documented the entire process on our blog if anyone is curious. It works awesome!!

http://thisinsanehouse.blogspot.com/...ve-ground.html

Ps,

If posting a link to a blog is a no no, please let me know! I thought this was easier than creating a photobucket account.
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover Reel

Very nice. Can one person pull it back on to cover the pool, or do you need one on each side pulling at the same time and walking it to the end?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! One person can pull it closed. I walk along side the pool, pulling it up to the deck, and then go up the deck to adjust the slits for the pool stairs. I was really surprised at how easy it was to roll and unroll!
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

4. Back To Top    #4

Great DIY reel. Did you cut or cover the eye bolt threads as to not puncture the cover or are you not worried about that since it's not covering the pool?
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread