Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust Spots on Main Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust Spots on Main Drain

I have a few ... 3 or 4 rust spots on the edge of my main drain. Not on plaster. Does anyone no anyway to remove the few spots?

16x30, 15,000 gal Plaster IGP , Hayward North Star Pump 1/2 HP, Hayward Cartridge Filter Model C4025, UltraPure Pool Oxidizer, Polaris 280, and Aqua Logic AQL-P-4 controller. Pool built 6/2/05.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Rust Spots on Main Drain

Since I would first suspect metal staining and since they are on the main drain at the bottom of the pool, try dropping a few vitamin C tablets (which contain ascorbic acid) on the stain and see if it lightens after a few hours. That would indicate metal staining. Turn pump off when doing this since you do not want the tablets to move off of the main drain.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.