Debris in Salt Cell (Crape Myrtle Seeds!)

Tinaja

Jul 15, 2013
Hello, I have the t-cell 15. I have been having trouble and I had it tested at two different places. It tested okay, but at the second store the tester asked, "Have you been shoving something inside it?" I told him how our neighbors have a crape myrtle next to the fence and it always gets those little round seeds which are a perfect size to get stuck in them. I used a long skewer to dislodge them, and he said that has damaged the cell. The seeds also have damaged the cell, I suppose.

He told me one of my filters must have a hole in it. I have two new filters and I am going to get two more and then I am also getting a new cell.

My question is...Now that I am investing in a new cell, is there any way to know ahead of time when I have a hole in a filter? What causes holes? And is there any gentle way to dislodge crape myrtle seeds that are really stuck other than using a skewer? I used my garden hose on its highest setting but that will not dislodge them.

Maybe there is a filter that I can put in front of the t-cell? A screen that can be attached or something? I hate to run into this problem again, because all of this is expensive.

Thanks

I don't know what kind of skewer you used. If it was metal it can scratch the coating on the plates. A bamboo or wooden one shouldn't damage it. A pressure washer should be a safe way to clean them out. Since pool water should have to go through a couple of strainers and then through the pool filter before getting to the cell, the seed should never get there in the first place.

I have crepe mrytles...

20130609_091420.jpg

How did the seed get into the pool, sink to the floor, get sucked into your vacuum. past leaf strainer, past the pump strainer, past the impeller, past your filter and then into the SWG?

You shouldn't be getting seeds caught in the cell so I would suspect a hole in the filter as well. Also, make sure the top filter plate is secured. If that lifts up at all, it can allow debris to pass. Remove, clean and then inspect the filter for holes. Usually, if there is a hole, it will be where the filter attaches to the end caps.

But seeds should not have damaged the cell either at all unless you damaged the cell when you cleaned it. Always use a wooden skewer to clean the cell.

I did use a long metal skewer. The guy at Leslie's said that the bars were all bent from me skewing them. He told me holes in filters are very hard to find. Another person at another store said that when the bands come apart, things can get past them. Is that true? Two had bands falling off and were replaced, and now the other two had them falling off and I replaced those yesterday.

The filter plate is a good point. I think I just noticed for the first time it says "This side to cartridges only". I don't remember seeing that before, so maybe that is part of the problem.

I believe the seeds are floating into the skimmer and getting past the basket easily. I will put a sock and a rock on it it....The filters are full of them, and they just don't come out easily!

Thanks.

The pump should have a strainer basket that happens after the skimmer but before the impeller .it should be catching them there. I know some crepe will pass to the filter but I don't think seeds should be getting that far.

Did you run the pump without a cartridge?

Tinaja said:
Another person at another store said that when the bands come apart, things can get past them. Is that true?
It depends on the size of pump. I have been running without bands for several years. With a large high flow pump, it may increase the probability of a tear but since I have a low flow pump, it hasn't been a problem. With a VS, you have control over that.

It sounds like you may have had the cartridge plate in backwards. That would do it.

I never ran it without a cartridge. The pump strainer basket catches some seeds, but not all. They get stuck there too! And I do run it with a fairly high flow, because I like swimming in it and it keeps the pool from boiling in the Texas sun. I am going to look carefully next time I clean the cartridges. In fact I think I will start cleaning them more often. If the brand new ones have seeds, then I think that means I still have a problem. I will also check the plate to make sure I place it correctly. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.