Whirlpools and suction noise at outtake

Aug 15, 2013
10k gal, AG, 1 1/2 hp .18 spl Hi-Flo Waterway 2 speed pump, 100 sq ft Clearwater cartridge filter, installation 6/2010 doughboy 24x16 oblong

On our outtake, we constantly have whirlpools forming and loud suction sounds coming from the whirlpools, any idea why?

Welcome to tfp, Lfogarty :wave:

I assume this only happens on high speed?

That happens to me when I have my return flow pointed too high. Try some different angles of return flow. Also, if you water level is low, it may be more likely to happen.

Just agreeing with Linen. I get them sometimes depending on how I aim the eyeball. Try aiming a different direction and you should be able to stop them.

Also, if you have small eyeball(s) you can increase the size and it will slow down the velocity and up the volume of flow and that may help.

Essentially the high flow rate is causing a vacuum due to it's swirling action (the high velocity water is piling into quieter water and deflecting into a circular pattern with the vacuum created in the center), the deeper it is in the water the less likely lower pressure area will form a vent all the way to the surface.

I have never heard of the returns being called outtake. I assumed you were talking about where the water leaves the pool (skimmer) and gets sucked into the pump, not where the water "returns" (eyeballs in the wall with water flowing into the pool) to the pool. If you are getting a vortex in the skimmer, it could also make noise.

Return Eyeball
stock-footage-pal-pool-return.jpg

Skimmer
skimmer_opening_600_600.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.