Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whirlpools and suction noise at outtake

1. Back To Top    #1

Whirlpools and suction noise at outtake

10k gal, AG, 1 1/2 hp .18 spl Hi-Flo Waterway 2 speed pump, 100 sq ft Clearwater cartridge filter, installation 6/2010 doughboy 24x16 oblong

On our outtake, we constantly have whirlpools forming and loud suction sounds coming from the whirlpools, any idea why?
    16x24 oval doughboy above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whirlpools and suction noise at outtake

Welcome to tfp, Lfogarty

I assume this only happens on high speed?

That happens to me when I have my return flow pointed too high. Try some different angles of return flow. Also, if you water level is low, it may be more likely to happen.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just agreeing with Linen. I get them sometimes depending on how I aim the eyeball. Try aiming a different direction and you should be able to stop them.

Also, if you have small eyeball(s) you can increase the size and it will slow down the velocity and up the volume of flow and that may help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks will try repositioning. Why would the water level cause this?
    16x24 oval doughboy above ground

5. Back To Top    #5

Essentially the high flow rate is causing a vacuum due to it's swirling action (the high velocity water is piling into quieter water and deflecting into a circular pattern with the vacuum created in the center), the deeper it is in the water the less likely lower pressure area will form a vent all the way to the surface.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never heard of the returns being called outtake. I assumed you were talking about where the water leaves the pool (skimmer) and gets sucked into the pump, not where the water "returns" (eyeballs in the wall with water flowing into the pool) to the pool. If you are getting a vortex in the skimmer, it could also make noise.

Return Eyeball

Skimmer
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100