Question about timing of tests and adding stuff

cram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2012
Cedarhurst, NY
My pool is 33900 gallons. I have been using BBB method for over a year, but testing today my CYA = 0 and FC =0. (Lots of sunshine and high temps this summer, plus I haven't been as obsessive about monitoring).

Not a problem , I added bleach to bring CH = 12. Let that swirl around.

How long before I can test reliably for CYA?

Thanks!

You lost me. You tested CYA at 0 and then added bleach for a target of 12ppm??? That is awefully high. If you did not add any CYA, then it will be 0 whenever you test it again.

Also, all the CYA does not simply dissappear. When was the last time you tested for it and had a reading?

Add CYA to raise your level to 30. See the chlorine cya chart in pool school to see what your MINIMUM FC is for that level. CYA might not show up for a week on a test. From 40 to 0 in two weeks sounds like a testing error unless you changed out MAJOR water.

I was leery about adding CYA, only because I thought that it should not leave the pool.

There has not been a major change of pool water. Some rain, some refill after backwashing.

That's why I was concerned about whether the CH level affects CYA readings.

CH = calcium hardness
FC = free chlorine
Do you have any CC (combined chlorine)? And what are you using to test? {please do not say test strips ;)}

The chlorine level does not affect the CYA test result.

Ok I made a mistake in my abbreviations. I am talking about chlorine. and CYA.

I use the daily test kit first, then the TF big test kit.
I added the powder and the color did not change at all.

I did not test for combined chlorine.

I realized that the CYA should not have leached from the pool, so I added enough chlorine to raise the FC to 12.

I just want to know when I should test the CYA level again, after adding chlorine.

Does the chlorine level affect the CYA test at all?

I have liquid conditioner here already...in the closet.

Thanks

jblizzle said:
The chlorine level does not affect the CYA test result.

Check the CC ... really should do that every time you test.

The CYA should not have disappeared. On the rare occasions that it happens (usually over winter or in a swamp), it is sometimes converted to ammonia which results in high CC readings.

Something isn't adding up here. Please re-test CYA. It should NOT have all disappeared based on the water change you mention. As for testing after adding Chlorine, get enough sample to test everything when you pull a pool sample. If you are concerned about getting a high Chlorine slug in your sample after adding bleach...or whatever, this will prevent any issues. Or run all your tests, then add accordingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.